myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Pager vs WAP in Gorge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnmartin

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Pager vs WAP in Gorge Reply with quote

Any comments regarding pros and cons of using WAP only instead of a pager in the Gorge? I am currently using a pager and experience some holes in coverage and would like the ability to customize the reports. I would probably use Verizon for the WAP.
hilton08

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:19 pm    Post subject: RE: Pager vs WAP in Gorge Reply with quote

I just switched from pager to WAP this spring and am loving it. Not only does the iwindsurf membership cost less without the pager, but the cell phone coverage is way better. The pager is pretty useless once you get east of the Dalles (no signal), but my phone (AT&T) gets full signal at Maryhill. That way if the Wall isnt going off when you get there, it is possible to get updated data from Roosevelt before burning the gas to get there, or you can see if its better to head back to Dougs. You also dont miss any updates if you happen to be out of range when the pages are sent out. The data is always there on the wap site when you want to look at it. Just be sure to get a wireless phone plan with enough (or unlimited) data access. I never realized how often I looked at the pager (every 10-20 minutes) waiting for updates until I got the phone.
Bugaboo

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: RE: Pager vs WAP in Gorge Reply with quote

I too use Verizon and and tried WAP last season. However,even though Verizon has good cell phone coverage, Verizon phones would not accept the IW graphics. As a result, my WAP service, while in the Gorge, was text only. The tech I spoke to last season told me that Verizon transmits over ATT towers in the Gorge and that the systems are not compatible when it comes to graphics. Post a note if Verizon now has graphics capability in the Gorge.
bharrisks

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: RE: Pager vs WAP in Gorge Reply with quote

Last edited by bharrisks on Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
carl

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: RE: Pager vs WAP in Gorge Reply with quote

Wendy is 49c per minute, I would think that would add up quick if you were using it alot. OTOH, if its only used a few months a year for only a few spots in the gorge, it maybe the way to go. Its programable too.
wsmike

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 7:40 pm    Post subject: RE: Pager vs WAP in Gorge Reply with quote

I have verizon and just enabled the WAP service, and tried to use it in the gorge last weekend. No coverage, past HR probably because I was on the extended network but not sure. I need to call Verizon to figure it out. I could not get graphics either, just text. I use the Wind Alerts with very good success, no matter where I am in the gorge. Just set up an alert for each site, for a specific wind range and a specific time range, and day if you want and it will text message you whenever the wind meets your criteria. You dont need wireless internet for this, nor the Wireless iwindsurf account so maybe thats a way to go as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: