myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
power box question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shatz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: power box question Reply with quote

need some good input on this one guys.I have just bought a used board with a power box.tried a fin in it but fin still has a little play in box.also fin sits lower in box,not flush with bottom.My question is this,if i shim fin snug and level with bottom do i risk over stressing box?If i leave it as is do i risk torking the box out because of the extra play? board 102 liters,6.7sail,38 cm fin.like sailing well powered up,160 pounds.hope to get some good imput.thanks shatz
spyder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: RE: power box question Reply with quote

what board is it ?

power boxes can be a bit different from model to model depending on who made the box/fin.

shimming to remove the play is recommended, you want a snug fit, but not super tight. I wouldnt worry too much about the fin being flush, just get the play out of it.

piece of aluminum can (coke/beer) or a piece of plastic bottle...anything like that which is thin and durable.

the can metal will eventually corrode in salt water, but then again cans are cheap.

just dont overdo it and it should work fine.
shatz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: RE: power box question Reply with quote

board is 96 kinetic.also just took a closer look at fin box and see very very small hairline lines at each corner of box.is box starting to go?should i try fixing it or am i making to big a deal about it?(tried puting fin in box and tried torking it by hand,lines didnt open).
motogon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: RE: power box question Reply with quote

If this is cracks - there are only two possibility:
1. Change fin box (very expensive) - not best option.
2. Put board in dumpster - best option. Save a lot of time and effort.

Sorry,

Andrew
carl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: RE: power box question Reply with quote

I agree with Andrew that those are the 2 options.
But if you like the board, replacing the fin box works fine, if you have a local board repair shop. It may add some weight to the tail of the board, but unless youre doing loops or aerial freestyle, it should be ok.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: