myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Chinook twist-on base

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wsmike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:08 pm    Post subject: Chinook twist-on base Reply with quote

I just bought this Chinook, 1 bolt twist on style base and have been having some problems with it. When rigging, I make sure the lever is right in the center line, so the base is balanced left to right. Ok, then sometimes when I sail, during a jibe or a crash it tightens up or loosens up and becomes off center. I notice during rigging that I have to leave it slightly looser than Id like to make sure it lines up, or overtighten it to make sure it lines up.

Is this a trivial problem? or is there some trick to making it turn out right?
wiamea

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:49 am    Post subject: RE: Chinook twist-on base Reply with quote

Im having the same problem it never seems to line up right where its centered, its either to tight or to loose trying to get it centered, I switched over to the 2 bolt plate as it easier for me to disconnect and change sails, only problem is you have to use the bottom socket to adjust the plate and lose and inch of adjustment on both ends aka mast adjustment.....
pacspeed

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 11:31 pm    Post subject: RE: Chinook twist-on base Reply with quote

Unfortunately, there is no magic bullet. I recommend going tighter rather than looser. It will just compress the upper inside wall of your mast track against the baseplate, no big deal.
The tendon and mechanical 1-bolt bases are centered, but to keep the rubber joints reliable, we had to separate the fasteners (i.e. a different bolt for your mast track than the one molded into the rubber joint itself.)
We fooled around with some things like molded-in spinning studs, and concentric spinning fasteners, but none of them were deemed tough enough. Some of you may remember our difficulties with the rubber joints about 4 years ago. We vowed after that to never compromise the reliability of such a critical part, so the off-center design remained.
My rec: get a tendon base, they are more durable, easier to rebuild, and have better power transfer than rubber joints. You may notice its a bit harsher over chop, but all in all a small sacrifice for all the benefits. Good luck, fair winds - Alex
carl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: RE: Chinook twist-on base Reply with quote

It would seem the Hydroshock would be the best of both. Shock absorbing like the rubber hourglass and a reliable mechanical joint. I dont see them at the shops anymore. I now use the rubber hourglass 2 bolt and change them out once a year.
When I was using the single offset bolt model, I found that if the base was offset when tight, just take the base back out of the mast track again and re-insert the bolt 180 degrees and tighten again. Usually it would line up almost perfect. Even when it wasnt perfect, I couldnt tell the difference while sailing though.
DONT SAIL WITH IT LOOSE!! If it comes out of the track on a windy day, your board will take off fast and go to the other side of the lake or bay without you on it. Its hard to catch it, some have lost boards this way.
hilton08

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: RE: Chinook twist-on base Reply with quote

Correct, youll never notice if the thing is off center while sailing. You will notice if it falls out because you left it too loose or strips out because you overtightened it while trying to get it centered. Just snug it up and go sailing.
wsmike

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: RE: Chinook twist-on base Reply with quote

Since my last post Ive done some experimenting while rigging. What I came up with is to align the chinook-bolt with the lever on the base when inserting it into the track. Slide it in, tighten it up and it has been perfectly aligned! May be different for different boards but you could probably do your own experiment and find something that works.
melpel

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: RE: Chinook twist-on base Reply with quote

I used to sail these, but found even when tightening significantly there were times when this would come loose while sailing the SF bay. That is a major problem, so finally switched to the two bolt/tendon type... no problems since.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: