myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lost and apprehended

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wprinz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:30 am    Post subject: Lost and apprehended Reply with quote

Lost, Found, and Apprehended

Several friends suggested that I post my saga, if for no other reason than entertainment value.
On December 1, I bopped out of my apartment in Marina Bay (Richmond, CA), about 7:20, to go to work. It is hard to describe the sinking feeling when I discovered that my van was not in its usual spot. Sort of like discovering that your fly has been down all week. Or you are in the middle of the Columbia River in Maryhill, and you discover that you forgot your harness.
In my van, was all my windsurfing and sailing equipment: About $7,000 worth of stuff. I called the police, posted the lost to this and other message boards, and made an insurance claim.
Actually, my insurance company was super. The settlement was fast and fair. I was insured for full replacement cost. The insurance company paid me an advance and I started to buy new gear. Buying gear was a little slow as the shops don’t have much stuff in the middle of winter.
On Wednesday, February 23, I was really tired and frustrated at work and decided to knock off early. It was sunny and windy. As I didn’t have any of my own gear, I decided that I would go down to the Berkeley Marina and watch my buds windsurf. Get some vicarious kicks.
As I walked across the parking lot, my friend Peter came up to me and said, “I think that those guys are selling your gear.” In the distance, I spyed what looked like my 115 4 year old F2 Air. I believe that it is possibly the only 115 l F2 Air in the East Bay. I turned around and went to the Harbor Master’s office and called the police.
When I returned to the scene with the police, all my gear was there. Almost everything from my board, 5 sails, booms, masts, … down to a broken pair of scissors and a half bottle of rubbing alcohol. No van, but all my stuff. The sellers of the stuff were taken away in cuffs.
The next day, I called my insurance company to tell them what happened. The lady broke out laughing. We fairly decided that I would keep the advance that they made, but I would not make further claims as I didn’t intend to replace stuff.
What is the moral of this saga? God loves us. How do I know that? She makes the wind blow.
Sandman510

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: RE: Lost and apprehended Reply with quote

Bill,
glad the bad guys got caught, for once.
What about your van?
Sander
trburl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: RE: Lost and apprehended Reply with quote

Congratulations on a super quick Karma turn time!!! Although I bet you were kind of excited to go gear shopping.....Were the idiot/thieves even windsurfers? In the Gorge youd never try something that brazen. Maybe these guys thought the scene was big enough in the Bay Area to pull it off??

Lost, Found, and Apprehended

Several friends suggested that I post my saga, if for no other reason than entertainment value.
On December 1, I bopped out of my apartment in Marina Bay (Richmond, CA), about 7:20, to go to work. It is hard to describe the sinking feeling when I discovered that my van was not in its usual spot. Sort of like discovering that your fly has been down all week. Or you are in the middle of the Columbia River in Maryhill, and you discover that you forgot your harness.
In my van, was all my windsurfing and sailing equipment: About $7,000 worth of stuff. I called the police, posted the lost to this and other message boards, and made an insurance claim.
Actually, my insurance company was super. The settlement was fast and fair. I was insured for full replacement cost. The insurance company paid me an advance and I started to buy new gear. Buying gear was a little slow as the shops don’t have much stuff in the middle of winter.
On Wednesday, February 23, I was really tired and frustrated at work and decided to knock off early. It was sunny and windy. As I didn’t have any of my own gear, I decided that I would go down to the Berkeley Marina and watch my buds windsurf. Get some vicarious kicks.
As I walked across the parking lot, my friend Peter came up to me and said, “I think that those guys are selling your gear.” In the distance, I spyed what looked like my 115 4 year old F2 Air. I believe that it is possibly the only 115 l F2 Air in the East Bay. I turned around and went to the Harbor Master’s office and called the police.
When I returned to the scene with the police, all my gear was there. Almost everything from my board, 5 sails, booms, masts, … down to a broken pair of scissors and a half bottle of rubbing alcohol. No van, but all my stuff. The sellers of the stuff were taken away in cuffs.
The next day, I called my insurance company to tell them what happened. The lady broke out laughing. We fairly decided that I would keep the advance that they made, but I would not make further claims as I didn’t intend to replace stuff.
What is the moral of this saga? God loves us. How do I know that? She makes the wind blow.
wprinz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: RE: Lost and apprehended Reply with quote

No van. Probably was chopped up for parts. Got a new van, better, holds 2 boards inside with room for 3 people too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: