myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
3-19, not bad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: RE: 3-19, not bad Reply with quote

Same conditions, different setup. Sat. was my first sailing in Four Months! 8.5 race sail and 145 liter board, along with Folsom lake all to myself. I shattered my old personal best time across the lake and back. Not only did I break the 30 minute mark, I broke 20.

Not very bright, I know. I should have stayed within 1/4 mile of the shore in case of a break down, but not sailing for 4 months can make you a little crazy. The way the wind was blowing, if I broke donw in the middle of the lake, I would have been looking at a minimum of a 7 mile walk back to my van.

Coachg
wsmike

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: RE: 3-19, not bad Reply with quote

Was a nice day, Ill say--Started out 6.1/105L at 12:30pm, then went to 5.2/75L at around 3:00pm on Fern Ridge Reservoir (or whats left of it). Winds peaked at 28-36, the most wind Ive seen here in 3 years. Looks good today already winds 26-33 right at the moment. Going sailing.
bert

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:49 pm    Post subject: RE: 3-19, not bad Reply with quote

Saturday was indeed a good introduction to the new season. After 15 years of sailing, Im still stoked about windsurfing. Sunday was a bit flukier. I shot out the gap at noon on my 5.2 and new 85 ltr. Peter Thommen T1. The wind came down a bit at 1 pm and I had to swim my rig back thru the pier opening(not that easy). A lesson learned..do not venture past the pier into the bay in small gear unless the wind is steady and >18 knots. Man Im tired.
shitan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: RE: 3-19, not bad Reply with quote

3-19+3-20=2 awesome days on 5.3m and 80L. This is defenitly a good introduction to the windy season, good practice of the of the higher wind sailing get tuned again.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: RE: 3-19, not bad Reply with quote

Lee,

I launched from Browns Ravine on the SE corner of the lake. There are two boat launch/coves there. The first one, where the boat dock is, faces NW and the second one called Catamaran Cove, faces west. I launch from Cat’s Cove. It is a good, sheltered launch for NW, SW or S winds. All three directions are side to side on. I know many people launch from Folsom Point on NW because it is onshore. I was surprised that there was nobody else out. It was Saturday, windy and not very cold.

I know how the rangers used to be. When you and your buds were out blazing the windsurf trail in the early 80’s, I was a cat sailor. There were many times that the rangers would not let us launch because they thought it was too windy. At that time, I don’t think they understood windsurfing, it was too new to them. I didn’t seriously pick up the sport until the mid 90’s. I’ve never had any problems with rangers, even on 30+ days. I think they understand the sport better now.

Folsom is fun, but only in the winter and spring. Higher water levels, and no jet skiers, water skiers, or drunken boaters. In the summer the green grass becomes dry, the water level lowers, the drunks come out, and I head for the delta.

Coachg
bharrisks

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:39 pm    Post subject: RE: 3-19, not bad Reply with quote

Last edited by bharrisks on Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
carl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: RE: 3-19, not bad Reply with quote

Date: 3-19-2005
Place: Berkeley CA
shitan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:19 pm    Post subject: RE: 3-19, not bad Reply with quote

I bet those rangers are in fact kiters, hate someting called blowing/knocking/smoking/blasting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: