myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Looking for high wind board..
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wndsrfgrl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Looking for high wind board.. Reply with quote

Hi, everybody!
Im looking for a high wind board for my sails 5.0 and down. Im 54 and 115lbs (female).
I was looking for something that will allow bump n jumps, freestyle, possibly waves in the future.
Ive been looking at the Quatro, Goya, and JP Freestyle Wave boards. Ive ridden the JP, but have never had the chance to try the Quatro & Goya.

Any suggestions?
motogon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: RE: Looking for high wind board.. Reply with quote

First of all: What is your current equipment?
Where you sail?
carl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: RE: Looking for high wind board.. Reply with quote

Second of all: What liter size boards are you looking at? At your weight, you probably should be looking at the smallest sizes available of each model, for high wind use.
The size also makes a difference in how they sail, often the smaller sizes of the same model are shaped different than the big sizes, almost different boards altogether.
farabi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: RE: Looking for high wind board.. Reply with quote

quatros are good wave boards but plain really late. its probably not an issue since you are not heavy at all. iv heard a lot of good stuff about goyas but havnt got a chance to try them.
wndsrfgrl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: RE: Looking for high wind board.. Reply with quote

I guess I should have indicated what I sail now.

I sail at Galveston Bay (Houston, TX). My current equipment is an AHD Maxxride 92L and I normally sail a 5.6 Windwing which I absolutely love, but the board gets to be way too much to handle in high winds.

Ive tried the JP Freestyle Wave 87L, but I think that may still be a little too big.
Ive looked at something around 77L since I probably wont use anything smaller than a 3.7 sail.

Smile
melpel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: RE: Looking for high wind board.. Reply with quote

I almost always recommend the JPs as that is what I am most comfortable with and familiar with The one other I have seriously looked into is the RRD; have met a number of people that really like them at 3rd ave. I think they sail similar to the JP, are less expensive, but also generally less popular/accepted.

Delta Windsurf usual has good deals on them; not sure on their shipping policies.
carl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: RE: Looking for high wind board.. Reply with quote

Did you like the 77L or did it still feel big?
7-10 liters can make a big difference.
I would look at boards more like 70L. Youll get much better control. Certainly no more than 77L. 65L should still marginally float you at 115#.
motogon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:21 pm    Post subject: RE: Looking for high wind board.. Reply with quote

I have Fanatic Goya 255 and very happy with it.
Have no experience with JP. Would not go for Quatro - they are hi-performace wave boards not best choice if you are not live in Hawaii.
windbetty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: RE: Looking for high wind board.. Reply with quote

Check out the Starboards Diva line. Theyre boards designed for women. They have a 70 & 80 litter board. Im small 52 and love that the foot straps are smaller and the settings are closer together. Its a whole new experience in sailing. The original Diva board was designed for Jennifer Henderson, one of the best women wave sailors in the world.

-Rebecca
cotter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: RE: Looking for high wind board.. Reply with quote

wow...and all this time Ive been looking for a 54 pretty girl that can and loves to windsurf!
wish i could help ya out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: