myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Racism and America
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 107, 108, 109 ... 455, 456, 457  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
real-human

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevenbard wrote:
That is a good thing. The residents will get the black police force and the black politicians that they want. They will then find out how difficult it is (no matter who runs the city) to keep it honest.

PS, I'm not hearing that the R's obstructed the process in any way. In fact, other than showing ID, how have they obstructed? Because one guy thought the registration push was in bad taste, they obstructed? I'd be willing to bet that even more blacks registered because of that comment.

shouldn't we be using the same voter IDs required at the countries founding.. you know tea party and right wing claims of everything in the world should be construed off the original day of inception.

can you show me that picture ID in those days.

swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it's important to remember that registering to vote is a different process that actual voting during an election. Frankly, I have no problem requiring proof of ID when registering, because it's really a one time thing, unless you move out of state. Moving around within a state that you are already registered should be a simple as submitting a formal change of address form.

However, the Republican pressure to disenfranchise voters at the polls is where I have a big problem. If you are registered to vote, there should be no ID requirements. In the bottom line, voter fraud doesn't truly exist statistically, and Republicans are trying to manufacture a bogus problem that doesn't really exist.
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the key thing to remember.
Every part of this is pretending to stop Dems from illegal voting ,which is a partisan myth.
If you read the fake news you think voter fraud is widespread , so any measure is justified.
Frightening that so many conservatives accept this anti American stuff without question.
Once they convince you the nation is full of Commies ,they can start locking us up in camps.
Once they convince you Obama is a Muslim terrorist, they can overthrow the Gov. and put in Trump as dictator for life.
The facts on voter fraud are widely available, but Talk Radio Conservatives don't care.

The facts on Commies are widely available, too.
Will TR Conservatives not care when they begin rounding us up?

Ask the lady running for office in Arkansas. She is outraged that she has been taken off the voter rolls for the same reason she supported taking tens of thousands of others off in Arkansas.
They were suspected Dems so that was OK.
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a news story on the GOP feelings about taking Republicans off the voter lists because of the laws they support. In brief, those laws should only apply to Dems.

"Arkansas Attorney General candidate Leslie Rutledge is crying foul over the cancellation of her voter registration form. Rutledge, the Republican nominee for Attorney General, was kicked off the voter rolls after it was discovered that she failed to cancel previous voter registrations in Washington, DC and Virginia, and re-register in Pulaski County when she moved. Pulaski County Clerk Larry Crane, a Democrat, said he was legally obligated to remove her after receiving a letter flagging this issue.

Rutledge and Republican groups are calling the removal a “dirty trick” that was politically motivated. But what happened to Rutledge is in fact very common, and becoming even more common after the state implemented a number of strict voter restrictions, including a controversial voter ID law being litigated in court Thursday.

Democratic Party chair Vincent Insalaco pointed out in his statement that “a thousand eligible voters had their absentee ballots thrown out earlier this year following the implementation of more rigorous voting guidelines.”

Indeed, Arkansas’ strict voter ID law caused chaos during the May primary. Voters were inappropriately grilled on their personal information at the polls. Many absentee ballots from legitimate voters were discarded because they did not include proof of ID.

Rutledge argued that she tried to register to vote in Pulaski County, but that the clerk’s office gave her a “change of address” form instead. “I don’t know if I made any mistakes except listening to the clerk and I should have insisted they accept my form when they refused it,” Rutledge told ArkansasMatters.com.

Voters around the country can sympathize with Rutledge on this point. Reports of confusion and misdirection by poll workers and elections officials emerged in several states during the 2012 election. In Ohio, for example, some voters have even been criminally prosecuted for fraud because they followed flawed instructions. During voter purges in Florida and Colorado, many eligible voters were removed for similar reasons Rutledge was; an outdated address or a typo was enough to flag voters as fraudulent.

The Republican National Lawyers Association has also come to Rutledge’s defense, expressing outrage that she was “systematically removed from voter rolls within 90 days of a federal election.” RNLA Chairman J. Randy Evans went on, “The fact is that it is a clear and unmistakable attempt at the most harmful kind of voter suppression in violation of federal law – removing a qualified female voter from the rolls notwithstanding her valid registration and actual votes in the last 4 elections in violation of her civil rights. Democrats should be embarrassed.”

Ironically, the RNLA has been instrumental in pushing mass voter purges across the country, specifically defending the right to purge voters within 90 days of the election.

Rutledge, however, is proud of her role in defending Arkansas election laws accused of discriminating against minorities and low-income voters.
real-human

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
I think that it's important to remember that registering to vote is a different process that actual voting during an election. Frankly, I have no problem requiring proof of ID when registering, because it's really a one time thing, unless you move out of state. Moving around within a state that you are already registered should be a simple as submitting a formal change of address form.

However, the Republican pressure to disenfranchise voters at the polls is where I have a big problem. If you are registered to vote, there should be no ID requirements. In the bottom line, voter fraud doesn't truly exist statistically, and Republicans are trying to manufacture a bogus problem that doesn't really exist.

I also have no problem with a free national ID that can be received by going to any post office like a passport and it is free. This ID is not mandatory and would have your picture and one biometric ID in place like eye scan. This by itself would be capable of stopping multiple votes in different states locations very simply. If you do not present this card then you would or could be required a more rigid criteria.

again we must remember there are many people who today do not have a way to prove they are born here that are elderly. There are some Blacks were not born in hospitals and never could afford hiring a lawyer to get these documents or via a house burning, or female with several name changes getting IDs is just not within their grasp. The constitution does not say you are required to have any ID even when they voted in about 1776.

I believe denying people their right to vote makes the USA not a democracy. That you are innocent till proven guilty is the burden of the establishment not the individual........

MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/world/women-sue-bank-over-sperm-from-black-donor/ar-BB6T36u

I guess this lesbian couple's rainbow didn't come in the color they wanted.
real-human

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://news.yahoo.com/u-judge-blocks-pennsylvanias-execution-immigration-lawyer-230128965.html

Quote:
A federal judge has issued a stay of execution for an immigration lawyer convicted of killing five people in racially motivated attacks outside of Pittsburgh in 2000, a spokesman for Pennsylvania's governor said on Wednesday.

U.S. District Judge Nora Barry Fischer granted Richard Baumhammers, 49, the stay on Tuesday, pending further proceedings "or until further order of this Court," according to court papers provided by Governor Tom Corbett's office. The stay will allow the Baumhammers to pursue a federal appeal.

Quote:
While incarcerated, Baumhammers told a fellow inmate that at least one of the murders was racially motivated and expressed hatred for all "ethnic" people, the press release stated.

mac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those facts are so inconvenient. Ferguson is not an isolated example:

Quote:
by Ryan Gabrielson, Ryann Grochowski Jones and Eric Sagara, ProPublica.

Young black males in recent years were at a far greater risk of being shot dead by police than their white counterparts — 21 times greater (i), according to a ProPublica analysis of federally collected data on fatal police shootings.

The 1,217 deadly police shootings from 2010 to 2012 captured in the federal data show that blacks, age 15 to 19, were killed at a rate of 31.17 per million, while just 1.47 per million white males in that age range died at the hands of police.

One way of appreciating that stark disparity, ProPublica’s analysis shows, is to calculate how many more whites over those three years would have had to have been killed for them to have been at equal risk. The number is jarring — 185, more than one per week.

ProPublica’s risk analysis on young males killed by police certainly seems to support what has been an article of faith in the African American community for decades: Blacks are being killed at disturbing rates when set against the rest of the American population.

Our examination involved detailed accounts of more than 12,000 police homicides stretching from 1980 to 2012 contained in the FBI’s Supplementary Homicide Report. The data, annually self-reported by hundreds of police departments across the country, confirms some assumptions, runs counter to others, and adds nuance to a wide range of questions about the use of deadly police force.

Colin Loftin, University at Albany professor and co-director of the Violence Research Group, said the FBI data is a minimum count of homicides by police, and that it is impossible to precisely measure what puts people at risk of homicide by police without more and better records. Still, what the data shows about the race of victims and officers, and the circumstances of killings, are “certainly relevant,” Loftin said.

“No question, there are all kinds of racial disparities across our criminal justice system,” he said. “This is one example.”
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac posted:
Quote:
The 1,217 deadly police shootings from 2010 to 2012 captured in the federal data show that blacks, age 15 to 19, were killed at a rate of 31.17 per million, while just 1.47 per million white males in that age range died at the hands of police.

No doubt that there are racial disparities in the justice system, but the story is only valid under the assumption that the percentage of white criminals and blacks criminals in this age group are the same. If one assumes there is a higher percentage of blacks involved in crime than whites, then the confrontations with police will be much higher and the likelihood of being shot goes higher too. However, I do believe that blacks are more likely to be shot by police even if the percentage of 15-19 year old criminals were the same.

I just prefer non bias reporting, or one might say the "whole story".
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
I just prefer non bias reporting, or one might say the "whole story".

Let us know when you find a source that consistently presents both sides of the news and unbiased conclusions or at least executive summaries. I'll both follow it and invest in it. So far, the closest I've found is Fox News, which gives comparable time to both sides of most issues on both micro (within many of its shows) and macro (consistent in some of its hosts and shows over the years, which even then host radicals from both sides) levels. However, one has to know the individual shows and talking heads pretty well to determine which individuals and shows do good jobs of that. O'Reilly in particular frustrated millions of viewers by defending Obama years past the point it was obvious what a disaster Obama was. It took him over four years to face that fact.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 107, 108, 109 ... 455, 456, 457  Next
Page 108 of 457

Jump to: