myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Anyone been to Puerto Rico?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wyeast22

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Anyone been to Puerto Rico? Reply with quote

How is the wavesailing in Puerto Rico?
outcast

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shacks can be great....but light wind, and a hungry reef....it's a bit of an adventure vs Cabarete which gets points for ease of use.

I'm waiting to see what Cuba is like
Caribchakita

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: PR Reply with quote

I have been to PR many times but not to sail. I have enjoyed hiking and exploring. Jamie Torres from Vela Uno is the man to contact for all. He is a SUP expert as well. He has a Facebook.

Twitter: bonairebliss
brega

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, i'm from puerto rico. if you have any questions about the island send me message or post them. www.windsurfingpr.com has alot of info. about the island.
ctwindsurf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: PR Reply with quote

I have been sailing there for years. I cannot believe how light the wind was the month and a half I was there. There were 4 good wind days the whole time. I was not at Shacks but can tell you the waves were there all but 2 or 3 days. Most of my time on the water were 6.5 116L schlog out to the channel and hope to catch something while there's a puff.
Shacks and Puntas Las Marias are 2 spots that you can find but you should have some local knowledge of the reefs. There is almost no rental gear available. Good luck.
ctwindsurf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: PR Reply with quote

I have been sailing there for years. I cannot believe how light the wind was the month and a half I was there. There were 4 good wind days the whole time. I was not at Shacks but can tell you the waves were there all but 2 or 3 days. Most of my time on the water were 6.5 116L schlog out to the channel and hope to catch something while there's a puff.
Shacks and Puntas Las Marias are 2 spots that you can find but you should have some local knowledge of the reefs. There is almost no rental gear available. Good luck.
SeaDawg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started to think about PR as a spot for a family vacation and googled windsurfing PR but came up with very slim options, maybe one board shop and no real rental for high end gear.

A free style pro from the 80's had a school there, Lisa Penfield but apparantly she has moved on.

I also looked into Jamaca but sort of the same story, Brian Talma had a rental site but apparantly he moved on also.

I went to St.Croix and broght my own kit but that was way before 911. I was able to take my gear to the airport the day before and the cargo guys promise to keep an eye on my stuff and make sure it got on the plane. I was traveling with friends, most of the luggage was lost for a few days but my gear got there safe and sound.

Don't think the dept of HLS or the airlines would let that kind of service happen these days.
btbill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be heading to PR for a winter break in Feb! This snow/cold in Hatteras is killing me! Shocked

I have an "in" for reduced airfare and free lodging down there, but need to determine if I can find a windsurfing gear hookup. Basically some high end, late model (2008/2009) rental/demo gear. I will be flying into Aguadilla and staying near there.

Anyone have any recommendations/suggestions?

thx!

Bill
www.obxbeachlife.com
Caribchakita

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contact Jaime Torres at Velauno. He is huge into SUP now too.

Ann Phelan
www.bonairebliss.com

Twitter: bonairebliss
brega

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

checkout in facebook http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=2234099828

it's: Adictos al viento. . . w i n d s u r f !!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Europe, Caribbean & S. America, Australia & NZ, Africa, Asia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: