myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Baja 2008 Reports

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Baja 2008 Reports Reply with quote

Got here (El Sargento, just above La Ventana and South of La Paz) Monday and had good but gusty wind Tue, Wed & Thursday with the best swells on Wed with wind hitting 30.

Reports were Sat, Sun and Monday were good also.

Wind Graph 2008 Dec 11.jpg
 Description:
Thurs 12/11 Wind Report
 Filesize:  183.7 KB
 Viewed:  15701 Time(s)

Wind Graph 2008 Dec 11.jpg

kirk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Sad News: Hood River woman dies in kiteboarding accident Reply with quote

Today in La Paz we learned an expert woman kiteboarder washed up in Las Palmas, south of La Ventana. I got back "home" (near Mr. Bills at Casa Kerr) , checked the web and learned she was from Hood River.

Story
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/12/hood_river_woman_dies_in_kiteb.html

It sounds like conflicting accounts.

Hood River woman dies in kiteboarding accident
by Desiree Aflleje, The Oregonian
Friday December 12, 2008, 11:41 AM
Facebook.comChristina Bockius, 43, died Thursday morning.

A Hood River woman has died from injuries she sustained in a kiteboarding accident on vacation near La Ventana, Mexico.

Christina Bockius, 43, was treated in a La Paz hospital Tuesday after breaking her neck and was transported by air to OHSU where she died early yesterday morning, her brother-in-law, Peter Hixson, said today.

"It was just a freak accident," he said. "We're just devastated."

She was not in the water when it happened, Hixson said, but was found on the sand with her kiteboard dragging her down the beach.

Bockius is survived by her husband, David Kelly Bockius, and two daughters, Sascha, 10, and Nina, 7.

An avid skier and windsurfer, Bockius spent 60 days or more a year kiteboarding after picking up the sport a few years ago, Hixson said, adding sports were "her path."

Hixson said her talents also transferred into the art world as a jewelry maker and advocate for keeping the arts in schools.

"She would teach classes herself," he said. "She would spearhead gathering supplies and get guests to teach painting and pottery."

Friends and family held a candle light vigil for Bockius in Hood River on Wednesday night.

"There wasn't anyone more positive in life," he said. "She made people feel special."

-- Desiree Aflleje; desireeaflleje@news.oregonian.com

medium_Christina BockiuChristina Bockius.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  5.97 KB
 Viewed:  15698 Time(s)

medium_Christina BockiuChristina Bockius.jpg

theq

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Condolences to the kiter's family. It must be rough. Reply with quote

Sad Sad Sad Sad
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is just so sad. A loss shared by all I’m sure. My deepest sympathies to her family.

Coachg
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure her children adored their mom. They will need counceling and prayer. The adults can find a way to eventually live with this, but the kids? I hope they have a loving aunt or grandmother. It sounds like she was a great person, with all her work in the schools.
pshaw

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Baja wind reports Reply with quote

I just returned from a 10 day stay in Los Barilles. A couple of forecasting sites I found that were especially accurate in predicting wind a week or more in advance were:

PredictWind.com

http://www.predictwind.com/

a subscription site that has a one month free trial period. It is like BuoyWeather.com:

http://www.buoyweather.com/wxnav6.jsp?region=NC&program=nww3BW1&grb=enp&latitude=37.75&longitude=-123.0&zone=-7&units=e

where you go to a map, designate a virtual buoy, and get a wind forecast for that buoy, but it can do it accurately for up to two weeks in advance. Before leaving SF, I correctly predicted each sailable day of my stay (not the actual wind speed, but whether it would be enough to sail).

Another good predictor is the FNMOC (Fleet Numerical Meterological and Oceanographic Center) of the US Navy:

https://www.fnmoc.navy.mil/efs/cgi-bin/efs_loop.cgi?strt=0&incr=12&stop=240&imagePrefix=US058VMET-GIFwxg.EFS.cal_hw15_&title=FNMOC%20EFS%20Gale%20Probability%20Forecasts%20(So%20Cal%20Winds%20%3E%2015kts)

The display shows the probability of above 15 knot winds over a two week period.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: