myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Bay Area Sailors in South Padre
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakesailor17,

Tomales is a site just north of S.F. on the coast. Rio, Delta & Sherman Island are one & the same. There is also Lake Isabella, Lopez & San Luis.

The best thing for you to do is just click on the Wind & Forecast tab here on Iwindsurf, then click on CA. Choose a location in CA, click on it then click on Local Info. Once in Local Info you can switch from site to site with the Switch Site drop down menu. There are maps, information & directions. Gather all the info you can and when you get here, just go to where the wind is. It is usually blowing somewhere in the bay area in June and if you avoid rush hour comute times will be less than an hour between sites with the exception of the Delta.

Coachg
tstar

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sail Jalama,,support windsurf dealers and manufacturers in this bad economy. Very Happy
human_catapult

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You obviously probably want to score a Crissy session while in San Francisco, but I would also recommend trying to get a session at Treasure Island if the tides are right. It's probably the worse launch in the history of windsurfing right now, but the water conditions are the best I've seen in the bay... on a mild day.
victor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the two most windsurf(and rv) freindly areas out here are the gorge and the delta. you will be surrounded by windsurfers and kiters from everywhere. you should plan on at least week in the gorge and another week in the bay area/delta. at both places you'll have no problem finding plenty of suggestions for local sailing sites and other places to stop on your way to your next destination.

be sure to pay close attention to the tides and what the local sailers are doing in the bay area. the tide can seriously affect the fun factor at almost all of the sailing sites.
jse

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

human_catapult wrote:
You obviously probably want to score a Crissy session while in San Francisco, but I would also recommend trying to get a session at Treasure Island if the tides are right. It's probably the worse launch in the history of windsurfing right now, but the water conditions are the best I've seen in the bay... on a mild day.

Yes TI is the bomb! Launch is not that bad. Best to go with company and sail the ebb. If you sail the NW launch, you can sail the flood too. Hopefully by the time you come the old launch will be back.

For scenery, TI, Crissy, Tomales. All have excellent conditions.

Delta is great for the vibe. I wouldn't call it a poor mans gorge. It's got its own personality. Camp and do the dawn patrol. You can sail from dawn til dark there.

3rd avenue has great swell but the scenery sucks.

Berkeley is good too. Sail upwind to the Olympic Circle - just ask. Or sail Point Isabel and do the same (Unreliable mostly)

Bullhead in Marin is great but you'll never get an RV there. fuhgeddaboudit.

Steve
lakesailor17

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the information. There seem to be too many venues in OR and CA for a 2-3 week trip. Since I’ve already sailed the gorge and Oregon coast but haven’t sailed anywhere in California, I’ve decided to focus on northern and central CA.

My list of sailing venues so far are the following:

3rd ave
crissy field
treasure island

rio vista

davenport
arroyo laguna
jalama

If I wanted to rotate between the coast, (davenport, arroyo laguna and jalama), the bay and rio vista depending on the forecast, what would be the best time of the year. I heard that the summer is good for wind in the bay area but that the swell is more consistent on the coast in the spring. Any advice.

Also, since I'm going to fly to the coast, what's the best way to transport a 2 boards, 4 sails and 5 masts (I heard that jalama is known for taking a toll on gear). It seems pretty expensive to bring the stuff on the plane these days.

Thanks,
Jon
tsokat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lakesailor17 wrote:
Thanks for all the information. There seem to be too many venues in OR and CA for a 2-3 week trip. Since I’ve already sailed the gorge and Oregon coast but haven’t sailed anywhere in California, I’ve decided to focus on northern and central CA.

My list of sailing venues so far are the following:

3rd ave
crissy field
treasure island

rio vista

davenport
arroyo laguna
jalama

If I wanted to rotate between the coast, (davenport, arroyo laguna and jalama), the bay and rio vista depending on the forecast, what would be the best time of the year. I heard that the summer is good for wind in the bay area but that the swell is more consistent on the coast in the spring. Any advice.

Also, since I'm going to fly to the coast, what's the best way to transport a 2 boards, 4 sails and 5 masts (I heard that jalama is known for taking a toll on gear). It seems pretty expensive to bring the stuff on the plane these days.

Thanks,
Jon

If you want to rotate between the Bay, Rio and the Coast, April-June would be your best bet IMO.
qholloway7788

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: 2.8-inch-cheap mp5 player Reply with quote

mp5 player

I buy a 2.8-inch-cheap mp5 playerfrom http://www.agoodic.com/instr.asp?/big_Mp5-player.htm.
I am like it very much.It is very popular in the world, It is big screen.
You can watch movies clearly. And use it easily.
Just point it as a phone as you like.
If you interested in it,you can go to see and buyit.
I think you will like it very much.
this mp5 player with camera.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: