myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing in San Felipe Mexico?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jconroy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing in San Felipe Mexico? Reply with quote

Hello - Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated. My parents have a house in San Felipe. Last November was my first time down there. I brought my gear and managed to sail one day. We found a place about 15-20 miles south of town where there was a restaurant and public access to the beach, but the launch had a sand bar and it was far from optimum. I wish I could remember the name, but it escapes me. On the way down there we saw a few kite sailors here and there off in the distance, but trying to find beach access was difficult. Does anyone down there know of or have access to any good launch spots south of town? I grew up sailing in the sf bay area and waddell and since we have access to this house, I'd love to find some nice warm water sailing for the once or twice a year that we get down to San Felipe. Thanks!
johnnycrash

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bahia de Santa Maria? A family run beach with many private homes, but they offered camping. It was ~22 miles or so- south. went to this place at T-giving - mid-80's -5 consecutive years.
The lagoon on the north end was great when the tide came up. Keep sailing to the top and out into the rolling Sea of Cortez. Watch the sand bar coming back, stay upwind. When the tide drops stay at the top or 4x4 it to the inlet - it's shallow, but the fastest you've ever traveled, thanks to the sandbar just up-wind. Don't jibe too wide. We used to stay Monday and be able to ski the whole lagoon behind the 4x4 with a 200' rope.

Good times, kinda spartan between vacant palapas' at the bottom of the lagoon. But good wind protection. Also 20mi. further south, Puertocitos - has hot springs in long rectangular rock pools, -ocean surf splashing against them - was pretty nice on a full moon - you might have to ask around, my friends knew just where they were, up over a hill and down to the beach at night. Anyway-good luck!
JO
peter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi johnoestman

I’ve been going to Bahia Santa Maria or Campo Maztland (Both camps are twenty or so mile past San Felipe) for the past twenty Thankgiving. If a Santana weather condition comes in it’s about as good of Bump & Jump sailing you’ll find anywhere. If not there is plenty of other fun to be had. It sounds like you pulled into Percebu last year. Good for drinking not so good for sailing. If you like E mail me direct and I can give you more info on the sailing spots.

Peter Jones

Pjones-swbs@sbcglobal.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: