myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Baja Norte

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeterV

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Baja Norte Reply with quote

Who has windsurfed at Punta Santa Rosalillita, or any of the Seven Sisters? Last time I was there, was super windy, but was not a wind junkie then.

Seems like it would be pretty good, but not sure about the reliability of the winds. Any clues out there? Going first week in November.
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nov is usually still some NW coastal winds just before the N Cortez winds come, killing the coast till late Feb.
PSR can often be windy, but it's surfsailing is usually done right at the entrance to the bay, well S of the actual point itself, which is past the town on the hill.
I've surfed it tiny but pointright, and if it ever blew, it'd be decent.
Seen lots of wind at SanQuintin, but once again, the wave usually wraps all the way around, getting small and straight offshore with NW winds.
4 houses can get windy but not usually filled in near shore. And cliffs tend to make the shorewind gusty and shifty.
GNegro doesn't seem to catch much NW winds.
BahiaTortugas can be shorepound fun on strong NW, as it's a curving beach and semi protected cove.
OpenEyes is where you want to be.
PSCarlos is still sailed right now thru early Nov., but usually smaller and weaker.
Hope you get some NW winds and some swells. Swells are due anytime and can get down in 2 days.
Once spot to check if you're a surfsailor is Sepulveda (bad spelling). I've seen it fully whitecapped with WNW winds and SanMiquel breaking couple feet overhead, it looked easily 8' and wrapping point rights. Was driving home from a OpenEye trip and tunnel visioned right past.
Used to surf K39's in the old days. I think the SanDiegans still sail at K-41 nowadaze on your drive down.
STEIN

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the weather report, if Santa ana's are forcast, load the gear and head to Bahia del L.A.. It's the sea of cortez, so no waves per say, but the wind waves are huge off La Gringa. Plus, it's about 5 hours closer than Santa Rosalia and 7 hours closer than Santa Rosalalita. I've sailed 4.2 there and had it all to myself.

Bill
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeterV,

If your talking about the spot on the Pacific side that is kind of opposite the turnoff to Bay of LA, I windsurfed there in very late December one time with a friend back in 1991. It tough to remember the details about getting there, but we ultimately launched at the point (I recollect that there was a dumpsite of sorts there). It was very windy, but the direction was somewhat onshore, so the wave setup wasn't that ideal for down the line sailing, but we had a fun time.
LeeD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PSR is the app. 6 mile graded dirt road in, then you get to a right point about 1 mile S of the town on the hillside, if you drive past, you get to the real PSR that normally has offshore winds and wrapping swells. Neither is good for wavesailing, but if it's a S swell, surfing can be long sectioning longboard rights.
Winds from NW tend to get blocked and sucked downwards from the upwind (N) hillside, so should be gusty and heavy, but not hitting your sail fully.
The S point gives the wind at least 1.5 miles to even out, has a sectioning point right wave, and some parking right along the shoreline, making a possible small wave riding spot.
I still think, for the adventurous, some spots N of Abreojos, which are all point rights, can have better potential. But beware of theives and carjackers (the FedMarine base at OpenEyes is a deterant there), but since it's still manned by 4 full time on duty soldiers, the threat is real.
Oh, that is the location of a very Secos like right point break.
jrg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I windsurfed Punta Santa Rosalillita in ~2000 - not super windy but nice waves. We sailed for 2 days, then headed further south. I think they may have built a marina there, so things could have changed.
LeeD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool you actually sailed there, as I've only surfed there on surfing only trips.
Yeah, the Marina breakwater is partially there, right in town, but that's N of the sailing area I thought would have potential. N of town, it was really only a S swell surfing spot, but for long, slow waves.
I guess you meant heading S past Gnegro but not quite to SanIgnacio, meaning Abreojos.
We've been surfing there since the late '60's and windsurfing there in the early '80's, often running into Mike and Matt, who flew down.
D-wo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sailed Punta Santa Rosarita once. This is the punta just south of Rosalillita. It's a popular surf break called "The Wall." The set up was very good but the wind didn't last long. We left after one day because it was super cold at night (below freezing). I think the winds on those points are frontal -if it's raining in San Diego and northern Baja, there's a good chance for wind around PSR and L.A Bay will be blowing offshore. When the same front hits the Rockies, that's the time to go to the Sea of Cortez.

I have also sailed PSC as late as Thanksgiving. Been there 3 Thanksgivings, two of them were quite fun and one was marginal but sailable.
theq

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never sailed Punta Rosalillita. However, back in 1976, my only trip to deep Baja, we took an adventurous off-route drive on the way back from Cabo. We ended up out at that incredible point. There was no surf but we marveled at the point setup there. I have heard that the waves get very good. I believe that there is a fishing village out there. There were signs of abundant sea life all over the beach. Good luck on your quest for wind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: