myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing at the Levee

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meneely

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Windsurfing at the Levee Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the Levee (Texas City) is open for business after Ike? Thought about heading down tomorrow.
jfcasley

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Windsurfing at the Levee Reply with quote

Meneely wrote:
Does anyone know if the Levee (Texas City) is open for business after Ike? Thought about heading down tomorrow.

i heard the dike was torn up, but that the levee held. i'm thinking about heading down tomorrow as well.

/ john
jfcasley

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the levee was not open to vehicles and i chose not to launch from the dike due to all the trash in the water.

i headed down to galveston and sailed for about 2 hours before the beach patrol decided no one should be in the water.
campmike

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake Texana is always an alternative until the Levee gets cleaned up. 1-1/2 hours from Houston.

Had a decent session there yesterday on 5.4.
jfcasley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is half way to bib!?! you must be kidding.
campmike

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfcasley wrote:
that is half way to bib!?!

Yeah, maybe thats why I've never seen another sailor there, or could be the alligators!

Can get BIB wind in the winter if S/SE. It's 100 miles from Houston.
Meneely

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you live in Sugarland, Richmond, Rosenberg, it's not that much farther at all. And for some reason the lake gets a real nice swell when it blows above 20k.
Meneely

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to Lake Texana last week and saw a gator in the water for the first time. I've always known they were there but this is the first time I've seen one in the middle of the lake. Wind was from the east so I was sailing way south. Like to say that I handled it with calm but I nearly ___ my pants. It was tiny but the sight still hit a primal nerve. My medula oblongata said get the hell out there bro. I now know I can tack with both knees trembling. I'll definitely be back though...on a floatier board.

So has the levee opened back up?
Meneely

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to Lake Texana last week and saw a gator in the water for the first time. I've always known they were there but this is the first time I've seen one in the middle of the lake. Wind was from the east so I was sailing way south. Like to say that I handled it with calm but I nearly ___ my pants. It was tiny but the sight still hit a primal nerve. My medula oblongata said get the hell out there bro. I now know I can tack with both knees trembling. I'll definitely be back though...on a floatier board.

So has the levee opened back up?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: