myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing classes starting in Boston!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pikovsg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Ideas for classes? Reply with quote

Scuzzy - definitely would be interested in coming to the meeting in September at Quannapowitt. I sailed there a few times myself. I might bring some folks from CB with me to help solidify things. My email is pikovsg@hotmail.com

On our side as well, we're going to sit down sometime soon at CB to talk about the next year's program. Like the previous poster (Marblehead) said: "Once people start skipping across the water they are hooked. CB and the Charles makes it EASY and accessible." We're trying to make the teaching method uniform so people can get to the skipping faster and without a lot of frustration. (I remember the first time I tried to windsurf I was so angry at my board)

So with that said, can I open this forum string to as many ideas on the training methods and teaching ideas for these classes. Our audience is mostly in their mid twenties to mid forties, working professionals eager to try the sails. I was even thinking about arranging races, similar to those at Quannapowitt. Ideas? How would you teach a windsurfing class?
alex177

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Ideas? How would you teach a windsurfing class?

Have you ever been at ABK? Not that I'm proposing stealing a piece of bread from Andy, but their methodology is great and really works.

Andy & Co will be at Kalmus next weekend, so you could come and talk to them.

Regards,
Alex
pikovsg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who are ABK? Is it Phil's shop? I'd love to collaboarate.

As far as news on the program - wanted to share with you:

We had a productive meeting tonight with head people at Community Boating. We have official green light to develop a more in-depth windsurfing program. You won't have to wait for the changes to take place a while from now: already we decided to keep the windsurfing classes going into the fall. They will be theory, sail and technique optimization, video learning and stationary board classes. I'll keep you informed with all details. As for the future – we are going to develop a 5 level ranking system for students and for the first time ever, for teachers. We will develop a unilateral teaching method, requirements and tests for the program. Additionally, there will be field trips, ocean sailing and hopefully windsurfing festivals around New England. As of now this is all in the works. If you have any ideas, please post them on this forum or email me directly.

I'm posting a picture uploaded from our program's Facebook page for you to get an idea of the place:

Feel free to join. Membership is open to everyone. Please see below:
http://www.new.facebook.com/group.php?gid=32399253326&ref=mf

n507203954_695998_9202.jpg
 Description:
board collection - old and new
 Filesize:  89.8 KB
 Viewed:  17803 Time(s)

n507203954_695998_9202.jpg

pmd1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary and Asya,

Great idea to keep windsurfing alive at Community Boating!

I second Alex's idea of meeting Andy Brandt from ABK boardsports.

www.abkboardsports.com

Andy is an old friend. I am planning on catching up with them at Kalmus. Let me know if you are planning on being on the Cape that weekend, (Sept. 5 -7) I'd be glad to introduce you to Andy if you like.

I came through the US Sailing Windsurfing Instructor certification program. It's a great program but Andy and ABK take windsurfing instruction to a whole new level.

See you at West Dennis,

Patrick
alex177

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be wonderful to have a storage place like that at Pleasure Bay.

Just imagine: come after work, grab an already rigged sail and board, sail for an hour and then go home happy.

Dreams, dreams....
pikovsg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick! Glad you're on this forum. I'll let you know if I'm coming to West Dennis next weekend. Would love to meet and chat with Andy from ABK. Maybe they could do a training day with CB staff for one day? That would help us a TON.
pikovsg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick! Glad you're on this forum. I'll let you know if I'm coming to West Dennis next weekend. Would love to meet and chat with Andy from ABK. Maybe they could do a training day with CB staff for one day? That would help us a TON.
pikovsg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles is stirring. Here's a latest photo - this is what it's like to windsurf after work!

n507203954_692811_923.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  37.84 KB
 Viewed:  16108 Time(s)

n507203954_692811_923.jpg

faller

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: has US Sailing given up its instructor certification? Reply with quote

Just curious about that program as it relates to what you are proposing. They certainly have not done much with the certification program, or developing new levels, so something new would be welcome. But they seem to have a hold on the insurance thing because of it, and are the national sailing association for windsurfing in the US. How would your racing program integrate into that?
pikovsg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What insurance thing exactly? What we're trying to do is expand the huge gray area within CB's windsurfing program – lack of standards and instruction. There's plenty of equipment, strangely. Unless you're talking about the highest level of certification, I don't think it conflicts with CB's insurance. I can definitely ask.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: