myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Bic Astro Rock's Legendary Status
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mistral10

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Bic Astro Rock's Legendary Status Reply with quote

At some point I'll need to transition to a shorter board so I'm doing some research on the best boards out there.

I've heard great things about the Astro Rock but I haven't learned what makes this board so good.

Does anyone know why the Astro Rock is, or was, held in such high regard? Is there another board out there that shares the same status?
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bic Astro Rock's Legendary Status Reply with quote

I believe it was the Electric Rock (or "E-Rock") that had the great reputation for years, as a durable, nimble, and affordable short board of its day. Compared to most any freeride board released since 2000 I don't think it would compare very well, though.

northshorehc wrote:
At some point I'll need to transition to a shorter board so I'm doing some research on the best boards out there.

I've heard great things about the Astro Rock but I haven't learned what makes this board so good.

Does anyone know why the Astro Rock is, or was, held in such high regard? Is there another board out there that shares the same status?

LeeD

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ERock was 108 liters, and 7 meter was considered the biggest.
I would say Screamer 103 for any windy area, the best jibing, reasonably fast board for 5.2 to 7 meter sailing.
But AstroDock was 127 liters, 24" wide, super flat deck, and just plain old friendly. Best for 6-8 meter sails, can be ridden in much more winds, but why would you when smaller boards were easier for all but +220lb'ers.
It was great for practicing helitacks for -170lb'ers, and floated all the above big guys home when breeze died below 5mph.
Rode it a few times last season, not bad with 5.3 compared to others, still fun for backwinding and sail spins. Flat deck might have been one of the keys to it's popularity.
Purple versions weighed as little as 16 lbs., light blue closer to 20lbs. Bic let you pick them if you bothered to.....
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't waste a second thinking about such an old heavy thermoformed product, particularly since the mast track position is totally out of sink with the design of current sails out in the market. I know many had the board in the very early 90s (an also the Electric Rock), and they might remember fondly about it then, it's an ancient relic these days. Frankly, it's not worth the time, unless you plan on using sails from the same time frame, and still it's not really up to speed with stuff since the late 90s (which will work quite well with today's sails).
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd mostly agree with SWChandler's ideas, but consider.....
You can get an AstroDock for almost free.
It's 125 some odd liters depending on which brochure and which year you're considering.
A good windsurfer and friend of mine, at 220 lbs., CHOOSEs to ride an Astro in normal winds.
I rode one last year, the old blue and white version, with a 5.3 Vertigo fully downhauled and it planed early, was fast, and turned well.
Better, when the wind died, it was much easier to helitack and backwind sail than any newer, domier decked, much shorter, much more rockered style boards.
It might plane up as early as any 125 modern freeride board.
It did long, slow, planing jibes quite well.
NO, I don't ride one this year, and probably won't.
For light wind 7 meter sailing, I like any # of 90 liter slalom boards over the old Astro/E Rocks. Yes, I rode an E with 7 meters last year also.
You weight and sailing location might influence your board choice, as well as your $$$$ condition and style point preferences.
likesitwindy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Astro Rock - Bic .....Dumb paint - good board ! Reply with quote

This is the board of choice because it is light , not too wide and not too narrow - so not so unreal to try smaller boards while having the astro rock as the middle (intermediate ) board of choice. Basically it sails nice , jumps well, light , A- box fin ?? , and it is fairly cheap ...due to it being old(er) . The only bad thing is the horrible Mici Eskimo Paint job and the lack of deck tracktion - need to wear booties to not slide around ! Get one if you can find one ..you can always get the money back when you eventually sell it ...I did !
vims

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned an Electric Rock (104 liters, similar shape and paint job to the Astro Rock) and I have sailed an Astro Rock.

They are OK when paired with vintage sails (pre-1998), but like swchandler said, "the mast track position is totally out of sink with the design of current sails" because it's too far forward. When I rode the E Rock with modern sails it always forced me into an awkward, uncomfortable stance, no matter how I adjusted the footstraps and the mast base position. Also, even with the proper vintage sail, the E Rock and the A Rock are not as early planing and manouverable as modern boards.

If you can get one for free or nearly free, then you might as well try it. Otherwise, don't waste your money on a board more than 10 years old.
jsampiero

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to echo swchandlers comments.

Spending a couple hundred on a newer board is WELL worth the money.
belladog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

......long live the BIC AstroRock!!!!
...can't do graphics like that no more!
mistral10

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for info. The mast track position sounds like it could be an issue. I'm sailing with newer sails now on my longboard. I'm starting with an 8.5 Ezzy Freeride. I plan to use new sails on my next board.

I'll continue my research and keep returning to this post, if anyone has more info on the Astro Rock.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: