myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
IT"S EARLY< BUT MAY BE A BAD WIND YEAR
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year was better for consistency. 2007 NW days in the Bay Area was off the charts. April-May was insane last year. Didnt touch my 5.7 until Summer.

Boggsman
YippieYo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsokat wrote:
On another note, I am concerned about all of the wild fire smoke currently in the air. Hope everyone gets through this fire season with minimal problems!

yeah this smoke is very disturbing. We've got our own Shanghai-like air conditions (at least as I imagine them based on pictures I've seen). Not only is it bad for us as my eyes have been burning, esp. this morning, but I think it's definitely screwing up the wind. this gloomy haze is no good for us windlovers

so here's hoping the weather mellows out, the firefighters are successful in containing the hundreds of blazes, and everyone listens to the Gubernator and do not light off fireworks next weekend (not likely). (OT - I'm surprised no one is getting on his case for not promoting patriotism. hopefully he was wearing a flag pin when he said that - hahaha)
beallmd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl; I live in Reno, but get to the bay a lot during season, esp coyote/3rd-we likely have sailed together on several occasions. I was just commenting on the entire Northwest US conditions. I think I've decided, as you said above, all in all a fairly normal year sailing wise even though the weather pattern is odd. Undoubtedly I've sailed with many others on the forum at Rio as well. I would not try to judge a season by Washoe as it is it's own little set of conditions-but last year was awesome! Gone To Maui in 2 days-looks like good wind but has been pretty flat this year.
beallmd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another piece of evidence of a weird year. Strong La Nina year with continuous storms rolling into northwest. See this; http://www.adn.com/life/story/473786.html "coldest year ever in Anchorage". Just something to think about. Note; SFO having a very cold year as well, but this may have aided gradients and led to a better sailing year in SF Bay. Maui was a disaster this year. Sail On...
dabull1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool logo photo there Koozgah! 'Now get out there and surf 'cause Charlie don't surf!" BTW, this is a sucky wind year, when I sail a 6.3 on a 110 L board in June/ July at Kanaha and wishing I had a 7.5, it's a sucky year!!! Bull
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl,
I'm from Sacramento. And yes, we had one of our coolest springs ever. It was also one of our windiest springs ever with many days widier here than Sherman during that time. Between Lake Washington and Rancho Seco I was able to sail far more days during those months than I did the last three yeas combined.

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: