myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sailing with kids in MA/NH area, where?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mitsmats

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Sailing with kids in MA/NH area, where? Reply with quote

Hi, I am looking for a good beach for kids to start learning windsurfing around Boston area ( to north). Obviously we don't need high wave, strong break or fast current. New to the area and I would appreciate your suggestion. Thanks
nhsurf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in southern NH and take my six year old to one of the small local lakes. The wind can be a little flaky at times but there isn't any jet ski or motor boat traffic.

I've never sailed at Lake Quannopowit in Wakefield, but you might want to try it if you are just north of the city.

What are you using for a rig and board?

Chris
JRuffus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you can spare the extra drive time hit west dennis. steady warm wind and warmer water totally user friendly...you are better off spedning a bit more time driving and less time in the water as your quality factor will tripple and pound for pound the kid/s will get much more out of it and come out of it having much happier perspective on it. I started when i was 10, so i have a good idea as to what the kid windsurfing mentality can be. A lake can work, but west dennis will without a doubt work much much better.....

Plus, its part of the adventure down there that will be fun for them...its not so much about windusrfing itself for them right now, as much as the entire package......so the environment in which you put them in is as important if not more so than the sport itself. you make the trip down there fun and get icea cream and take them windusrfing....then they associate fun and warm and ice cream with windsurfing and next thing you know you got some wind addicts on your hands
OliverTwist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of us sail at Lake Masscupic (sp?) in Dracut, Lakeview Rd. It's not a great spot but it's nearby and accessible. It's best with a SW wind.

You can park and launch near the swimming beach and boat ramp or from a little park on Lakeview.
mitsmats

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I just would like to say thank you all. You guys are so wonderful. I have nine year old boy, who was inspired? when I was watching old Robby Nash's R.I.P. video.

I have Fanatic Viper 160L. I am thinking to just buy a children rig with 2-3 m2 sail without board. If he really likes it, then I will buy a kids board, (perhaps BIC?).

Lastly we are far away in Hanover NH. I am afraid I won't enjoy windsurfing in connecticut river, obviously it is not Gorge. Driving to NH shorline/boston area does not bother us much fortunately.

Again many thanks
OliverTwist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of nice lakes up your way but the only one I've sailed is Lake Sunapee. I don't know what the access is like at any others. Sunapee can be accessed from Bloggett Landing Rd. There are some big rocks but the water's clear and you can see them.
alex177

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also consider Fogland beach in Tiverton, RI.
It is warm, shallow and very protected. Could be even closer for you
than West Dennis.

There is also a guy (Paul) with a big trailer at the beach who can
rent you out a kid rig to try. Paul also gives beginner lessons for kids if you are interested.
-=koLLac=-

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, weird...I'm in Hanover right now and again for about 4-5 weeks in August/September. I'm pretty bummed about not having access to water right now since I really want to go sailing. I will be back in Burlington this weekend though and I'll probably end up going to the Sandbar on Lake Champlain after work on Friday.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

mitsmats wrote:
I just would like to say thank you all. You guys are so wonderful. I have nine year old boy, who was inspired? when I was watching old Robby Nash's R.I.P. video.

I have Fanatic Viper 160L. I am thinking to just buy a children rig with 2-3 m2 sail without board. If he really likes it, then I will buy a kids board, (perhaps BIC?).

Lastly we are far away in Hanover NH. I am afraid I won't enjoy windsurfing in connecticut river, obviously it is not Gorge. Driving to NH shorline/boston area does not bother us much fortunately.

Again many thanks
You are probably associated with the big D. The sailing club on Mascoma offers some windsurfing. I have seen posts from a guy that sailed there on another board. How about Occum Pond? Then again there's lake Sunapee. It's best to start at a lake or pond as it factors out the wave action of the sea. Indian Lake outside of Worcester might also be an option for you. They have a sailing club and many windsurfers have started there.
Barnett

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a "kiddie mast"...I think North....I listed it among items to sell but never sold it. I think it rigs on a regular base with small sails and it is in very good shape. I can't recall details as my youngest is 18 now. Anyway, if you can get down to the Northampton, MA area (about 1 1/2 hr south of Hanover on 91), you could give me whatever you want for it, or I would be happy to give it to you free if you are a starving student with an eager little windsurfer- gotta keep the sport going, right?

West Dennis has a pond across from the main beach- sort of far for you, but advantage is you could sail the ocean and your kids could sail the pond, plus it is beautiful. Nevin Sayre used to run a kids clinic there annually that was loads of fun for the little ones. You might check out if that is still happening.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: