myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Dam! It's Cold!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
updraft

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Dam! It's Cold!! Reply with quote

I may be getting too old for this. After an hour of cautious cruising on Monday I bounced my fin out in a corner and fell in. AAAHHHHHHHH! I hereby offer a theory: Windsurfing joy is soluble in cold water. I'm afraid! In my younger days I skiied all the time. Now when that possibility if distracting myself from the interminable hours of winter surfaces, I can only think of the long drive and how cold its gonna be. What if I similarly lost my passion for sailing? Whats left? Flying and diving have lost their magic. Do I just sail in August, or move to Maui?

Last edited by updraft on Wed May 28, 2008 11:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
geohaye

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold water can be tough. There was a day that I took windsurfing for granted earlier this season because of cold water.

Then I thought of Ray Armas and it put things in perspective. I've been better ever since. Ray's the guy who escaped from Cuba via windsurfing on old and multiple-times-home-repaired gear. That takes guts, even for the desperate.

Now, he's found himself a shared apt in NYC, got great deals from one of the bigger shops in the Gorge, and has begun windsurfing in NYC by subway! It is almost impossible to do this but with one person's help each time, Ray has pioneered a way to commute by subway to go windsurfing...Wink (Of course he has no car.)

His first several days this Spring he had no wetsuit but sailed anyway. 6.5 in cold water and lightish wind. Sailing with a passion.

Wow. That inspired me I'll tell ya.

If he lived in the Gorge, had his own car, etc., I bet he wouldn't let any water temps in May stop him. Anyway, everyone's life experience is different -- but I can say that everyone has a little "Ray" in them so if that helps puts things in perspective, then this post was worth typing.

PS: Ray has more than a few write-ups on his experiences in the iWindsurf "East Coast" forum. You can tell he's happy to be here.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Dam! It's Cold!! Reply with quote

updraft wrote:
I hearby offer a theory: Windsurfing joy is soluble in cold water.

WELL put!
As you, I've tried WSing in "ice" water, and decided there are better winter sports, specifically almost any that don't involve immersion in icy liquid H20. For me, "icy" begins at 46 degrees as reported at Bonneville Dam; below that my bare hands and feet are untenable. By the low 50s I'm quite comfortable sans hood.

I chuckle, sometimes laugh out loud, to myself when my three buds report back from their midwinter sailing in the eastern Gorge with this very typical story: "We drove 90 or 150 miles round trip, rigged in 38-degree rain, launched into 38-degree water, got blasted by winds of 10 to 40 mph for an hour or so, swam or slogged back to shore, unrigged in 38-degree rain, and went home". Even if it didn't rain, and even in the once-or-twice-a-winter case of an hour or two of good quality wind, what's fun about that? All three of these guys are excellent skiers, but nooooo ... they won't go do something dry.

I sure hope you Corridor winter sailors have better experiences than my out-east diehards do, not even counting the shorter drive.

\m/
WMP

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm tired of cold & moist air!!

Last edited by WMP on Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I hope you've been making The Pilgrimage this so-called "summer", because we've had many spectacular days out east in the past month or so, some of them as good as any July all-day 30-kt thermal blast ... one tiny sail being PERFECT for up to 6 or 7 hours. My 3.7 has seen more perfect wind this last month than it usually gets in an entire season. The problem is that they have been interspersed with some of the gustiest, most disorganized CRAP I've seen since, well, 13 months ago.

And one Martian has been comfortable in his shorty for a week or two now.

\m/
WMP

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailed 3.7 at Roosevelt a week ago Tuesday and it came up really nice.... especially around the 3:00 hour.

Last edited by WMP on Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuesday was INFINITELY crappier than Wed, which was INFINITELY crappier than Thur (now THAT's hyperbole for ya, but the distinctions were dramatic). The only good thing about Wed was the biggest swell ever reported by Roosevelt regulars.

If ya had driven a motor home (or camper van), ya could have caught all three.

And, yep, I've swum clear across at Roosevelt many times -- halfway 2 or 3 times some days .... which is why I dress for the swim, not the air temps. The guy who's already in a shorty swims often, preferring that to boat rescues even when something breaks a mile upwind and clear across the river. You probably saw him nailing backs and forwards at Arlington Tue.

\m/
WMP

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say, Mike, is I had a really good time on Tuesday... swell worked well for me.

Last edited by WMP on Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
blireef

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: cold water Reply with quote

I'm anxious to return to the gorge but the past couple of day have been very good sailing down here in Los Barriles Baja with wind 18 to 24MPH and water 77 degrees and air 85 degrees.. So I guess I can wait a few more weeks until I start hearing that the weather has changed to summertime.. I'm too old for 56 degrees, it's 57 degrees in San Carlos right now, with a swell.
updraft

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by updraft on Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: