myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Southern Idaho Wind???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robcurtis2

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Southern Idaho Wind??? Reply with quote

Hi Ya'll,
I moved out to Southern Idaho from Portland, OR and looking for wind and locations to sail. Im about 40 minutes out of Twin Falls and looking for the sailing community members around here to hook up with. Any of you out there?

C
rmdavis

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi C,
I lived in the Ketchum/Sun Valley area for 30 years and sailed all over southern Idaho and the Gorge. Wilson reservoir is in Hazelton, just east of Twin Falls. It's small but fun when the wind is from the west. Half a dozen locals sail there regularly. American Falls reservoir is a little further east in the town of the same name. It is big and can get large swell with a west wind. About an hour north of Twin Falls is Magic reservoir (my old home waters). It's a great place to sail and the local crew are terrific people and really friendly (tell them BD sent you!). In Boise is Lucky Peak reservoir, it gets good morning wind in the summer when the weather is hot and there is high pressure. Lots of local windsurfers and kiters are there on a regular basis. Southeast of Boise is C.J. Strike reservoir. It is good on a west wind and the locals have discovered a few new launch sites in the past few years. I hope this helps you get some water time, also , you can camp at all of these places. Good luck, Bob Davis
rmdavis

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey C, I forgot to tell you that you can check out the scene at Magic by going to magicwindsurfers.com. and what's happening at Lucky Peak by going to fortboise.org/windsurfing. Both sites have a lot of information. Man, thinking about Idaho really makes me miss it! Cheers, BD
robcurtis2

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will need a larger board for out here and New Mexico though. Yup trying to get to NM now but I will try the Hazeltn gig while im here. Short runs will be good workin on turns. It'll be like Im at "the hatch" again right? I will also look up those websites. Need to get out on the water again. Thanks a bunch.

C
CGammon

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BD you forgot to tell C that magic winsurfers has a wind line for magic.
how's So Cal treating you? Walker has three days in already. He was bragging about how early he was sailing so I reminded him that one year you and Mark skied in the mourning and sailed that afternoon. You ever going to visit and get a session in with us?
Chris
rmdavis

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris, it's great to hear from you. I thought C would learn about the wind line when he looked at the Magic website. As far as getting up to Idaho for a session with the boys, I would love to but can't say when. My business keeps me occupied more than I'd like. I do get to Cabrillo when I can, I've got 8 or 9 days in so far. Anyway, say hey to everybody for me. Cheers and later, BD
isobars

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robcurtis2 wrote:
I think I will need a larger board for out here and New Mexico though. Yup trying to get to NM

Not always. I've sailed the Gorge more than a thousand days, but the strongest winds I've ever seen were in NM when I lived there. I've chalked up maybe a hundred days of sailing on very small sinkers in NM. Bigger boards will get you more shred time, but don't even THINK of moving to NM without very small gear also.

\m/
robcurtis2

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iso.......Where did you sail? Im trying to transfer to Albuquerque, lived in Alamagordo wayyyyy back in the late 80's and early 90's. A good friend of mine and myself would hit Elephant. Whats near Albqrk if I end up down there?

C
repooc99

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: New Mexico Spots Reply with quote

Hi,
Just to let you know NM has a thriving Windsurfing group. You will find the die hards at Cochiti Lake daily afternoons. A big board like Fanatic B is the call with a good 7meter sail. But you will have some great days on small gear as well.

Morgan lake up by Bloomfield is heated and windy. Elephant Butt is a great spot as well.

Good luck,
Ron Very Happy
fearnobeer

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Albuquerque move? Reply with quote

This is a question for probably Isobars but if anyone else wants to speculate feel free to chime in. Assuming unlimited free time, how many days a year could I windsurf there on:

1. 6.5 - 7.5
2. below 6.0
3. below 5.0

The price of a new home in Albuquerque is around $200k.

Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: