myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best High Wind Freestyle Wave board for a heavier guy?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter.zarand

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Best High Wind Freestyle Wave board for a heavier guy? Reply with quote

I am 220, have been sailing for 4 years in in the Bay. My current board is a 102 Exocet Cross and I am looking into getting a smaller board for the 5.2 or smaller sail days.

I was looking into getting either the 85L or the 93L 2007 JP Freestyle Wave board and need some advice on what size is the better fit. I heard arguments for both.

Anybody has advice/ experience? Thanks!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much smaller might you go in sail size?
How steady and reliable are your winds?
Do you want to risk a swim or a long, broad-reach slog to gain maneuverability and comfort and maneuverability in solid 4.0 conditions?
How often will you use a 4.0 vs a 5.0?

\m/
bobgatpdx1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RRD FSW boards come in 5L increments from 80L up to 115L.
I'd go for the 90L, 95L, or the 93L JP.
Always best to try before you buy.
bobg
jedi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I weigh 220 as well and owned the JP 91, the older version of the 93, it was an awesome board for my 4.5 and my 5.4 when it was windy. It rarely felt too big, only when I was quite overpowered on 4.5 which is 40 mph gusts. otherwise it stuck to the water when i wanted it too and delivered the Pop when i wanted it too. Good, Solid, allround high wind board for a big guy. If I lived anywhere but the gorge, I wouldn't need a smaller board than that.
mountainbear

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 04 98 lts. JP Freestyle Wave and it was a very good board however, now I am using a 98 Naish Global wave and the board is amazing, getting into a plane faster than the JP and holding a broader sail range. This year I also got a Naish Pro Wave 85 for my high wind board, I decided to go to a full wave board for high wind because they track better on choppy water. I sail mostly at the Delta and, when the wind picks up, the flatter rocker of the freestywaves became too bumpy during jibes. This season I have already sailed with the 85 lts 5 times and it worked great with 4.2, 4.7, and 5.3. I weight about 215, best luck finding your new board, it's always fun shopping for a new stick. Cool
seabrookuk

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Do you want to risk a swim or a long, broad-reach slog to gain maneuverability and comfort and maneuverability in solid 4.0 conditions?

\m/

thats helpfull?
isobars

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seabrookuk wrote:
isobars wrote:

\m/

thats helpfull?

Every one of those questions is vital, if he wants an answer that's actually USEFUL.

I can't believe how many people can't comprehend that requirements/ criteria/ priorities ... i.e., THE PROBLEM ... must be identified before a solution can be offered.

\m/
iwillfindyou2112

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with 85L or less. Too much overlap otherwise. Despite all the previous responses, you really don't need to know too much more info. That exocet is a great board, a JP FSW 84 would be a great complement and will take you down into the 4's beautifully, especially with your weight. Don't worry about the slogging ability, worry about the ripping ability.
scottwerden

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally think a 10L jump is about right between small and big boards. I used to weigh ~230 and a JPFSW 102 was my big board and a RRD 92L was my small board. Now I weigh 208 and JPFSW 85L is my small board and the RRD is my big board.

I would think an 85L would be bit small for your weight. But then again, I am not the most efficient sailer in the world.
KevinL

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From another 200 pounder - dont go with less than 90 litres...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: