myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ray NYC (WHAT ABOUT LIFEGUARDS AND WE,THE WINDSURFERS)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
armaswindsurf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Ray NYC (WHAT ABOUT LIFEGUARDS AND WE,THE WINDSURFERS) Reply with quote

So I guess I am going to stay around the subway line. And I have a question, Do any one know if there is any restriction about sailing in Conney Island beach? and what about windsurfers and life guards? what about if they say "NO BODY ON THE WATER " because the weather is "BAD" (of course, for people..., no for windsurfers) ???????????

dO WE HAVE TO FALLOW THOSE ORDERS?...

And this is a good one : Can I windsurf on the Hudson river? (i don't care about how disgusting the water could be) My question is, What the law says about it?

Thanks dudes!!!!!!
johnson_brian_j

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about NYC, but you can definitely windsurf on the Hudson. For the lower Hudson valley (Irvington / Tarrytown / Ossining / Croton), check the following Yahoo! group for more information:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/HudsonRiverWindsurfers/

I've made a map of Hudson River windsurfing spots:

http://tinyurl.com/5lhqqh

Happy sailing!
johnson_brian_j

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... or did you mean the Hudson River right next to Manhattan? I don't know, but I would be very concerned about how disgusting the water could be. Shocked
armaswindsurf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Ray Reply with quote

yeap... the one next to Manhattan is the one that i mind...hahahhaaaa....
RickCronk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Manhattan/Hudson Reply with quote

Ray, there is windsurfing at Plum Beach west of Kennedy Airport. I believe this is served by some form of public train transportation and is also covered by iWindsurf. You can also take the train north to Irvington, Croton and Beacon and sail just a short distance from the train stations. The upper Hudson is better for wind and cleaner water than around Manhattan, access, tides and currents are always a problem. Good luck, RC
rswabsin

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll have until Memorial day weekend to be able to sail off the beach at Coney Island. After that and thru Labor day, the life guards will stop you and likley call th cops if you don't listen. But you can ususually access the water before 10:00 am and after 5:00 or 6:00 pm when they are not on duty. Same rules apply for most of Long Island and New Jersey ocean side beaches. There are designated surf beaches that you might be able to access during the day when the lifeguards are on duty, maybe ask at a local surf shop.
armaswindsurf

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: RAY !thanks! Reply with quote

Thank you guys..., nice tips... I will make my research about the trains and how to get there, Just yesterday I receive from BIGWINDS the rest of my gears (for first time in this country)... and because I am not use to this latest tech in windsurf equipments, I will like to hear your opinion guys about the 2007 starboard S-Type 104L (consider that I am 190 lbs) and the sail is a Naish redline 6.5 (3 cambs) ..... I guess I didn't so bad for a mostly "all winds conditions" board.... WHAT DO YOU THINK?... HOW GOOD IS THAT BOARD?

THE 2007 NISH REDLINE (3 CAMBEL).jpg
 Description:
BROOKLYN HAVE A WINDSURFER NOW!
 Filesize:  146.03 KB
 Viewed:  16793 Time(s)

THE 2007 NISH REDLINE (3 CAMBEL).jpg

johnson_brian_j

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray,

At Beacon, you could actually launch at the train station itself. You just walk through the underpass from the train platform, walk across the parking lot, and you're at the water. That's a shallow bay that will be overgrown with weeds by mid-summer, so then you'll have to walk about 50 - 100 meters to a little riverfront park to launch. You can also launch at the Peekskill station.

I think some of the stations closer to the city like Irvington and Tarrytown have similarly easy access to the river. The HRW Yahoo! group has people who sail there all the time, so I'd recommend getting in touch with them for specifics if you're interested.

Brian

Last edited by johnson_brian_j on Thu May 01, 2008 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
armaswindsurf

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Ray Reply with quote

Is just that back in Cuba, I use to be a really bad look guy... just like Kenny... hahahaha

THIS IS WHY SOME OF MY FRIEND CALL ME KENNY.jpg
 Description:
!!!!
 Filesize:  97.76 KB
 Viewed:  16779 Time(s)

THIS IS WHY SOME OF MY FRIEND CALL ME KENNY.jpg

RickCronk

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray, 106 ltrs is kind of small for the Hudson River conditions for most of the summer season. How good is your no wind uphaul technique? You'll be much better off looking for the nice summer thermals off LI or the Jersey shore. They are much more consistent and stronger. RC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: