myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
SF Oil Spill
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillTurner wrote:
It was fuel oil, NOT raw oil. Fuel oil oil breaks up much more rapidly and does have the same long lasting effects as raw oil spills do.

In many ways it's worse than raw oil.
Bunker C is the stuff that's left over after the refinery distils
out all the gasoline, diesel, jet A, kerosine, motor oil etc. It's ultra concentrated in toxic hydrocarbons and (as said) it's like paste or tar. It needs to be heated just to flow thru the fuel lines to the burner. It's used on large ships because they have room for the large pre-heater, and bunker oil is dirt cheep.

It doesn't "break up", it sinks to the bottom in a few weeks after the spill (and stays there until Davey Jones puts it in his locker).
89Spring

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, glad to hear it is somewhat safe to sail and that things are getting cleaned up. I suppose the good thing or not is the strong currents that were able to suck it out. Hopefully it was ebbing. The ship hit the Bay Bridge? I'm really looking forward to session under the GG. Not looking forward to the cold water, I've gotten soft sailling in just trunks all winter.
victor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

89spring,

guess what? i think the water is colder this year than it has been in the past. my next wetsuit will definitely be a 5/4
89Spring

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope you joking. When I bought my last suite there was no way I was going to sail in a 4mm I have a short sleeve windproof 3mm. I remember it being about 58*F crissy, waddell etc
beallmd

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

58 degrees is too high for Crissey or the coast except in a strong el nino year. Normally the coast and crissey would be around 48 to 50 degrees. 58 would be typical for apr or may at coyote or PA. this would warm late summer to around 68 degrees, while the coast would only warm a degree or two. This is a strong La nina year, so the coast will be a bit colder than normal (most of the temp changes are off south america). La nina are typically great years for wind-better gradients etc. El nino are usually worse. I keep track with a diary and el nino are def less windy on average. El nino and La nina years affect global temperature, wind patterns and affect atlantic hurricane seasons and rain patterns and temperatures across the globe. it is an extremely important weather event but can change rather quickly and is very difficult to predict.
mogunn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're interested in current Bay air and water temps check this page.

The water does seem colder this spring.

beallmd

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember the exact year, but there was one El Nino year where the water temps were very elevated along the coast and in the bay. In april/may I remember all you needed was a short suit in the bay. It was obvious from the beginning of that season, the winds were not as good as usual that year, and there was a tendency for SFO to heat up which is typically the death of the wind (we call it the 'dreaded heat up'). That was the year the fisherman going out on the coast were catching what are normally "tropical fish".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: