myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
kite harness for windsurfing?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joewindsurf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: kite harness for windsurfing? Reply with quote

Just curious, do most the windsurfers use kite waist harnesses?

I've windsurfed for 14 years, and have been kiting now for 4. Initially I used my windsurfing harness but it fell apart within one season. It seems like the kite harnesses are made so much stronger and they are designed to stay in place, although they usually don't have the quick release incase you get caught under the sail, trying to find the surface still hooked into the harness line while its all twisted.. air! where's the air! Smile
michal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Kitesurfing harness (DaKine) for windsurfing and kitesurfing (just changing the hook as kitesurfing one is more prone to "lockup under the sail"). This did fell apart in a season anyway and then again after it was fixed by Dakine, - it seems that they do use strong enough threads to stitch the buckles to the harness (I have noticed that some now use rivets as well).
Anyway it is not more comfortable than strictly windsuring one, imho. Just has the "butt handle" and pocket for "last chance knife".

Michal
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say Kite harnesses are bigger. stronger and "get in the way" more. Windsurfers don't need that much harness. I bought one but I won't use it unless I can't find something that works better. I do use a small seat harness as I am a heavyweight-225 and I need more leverage to hold down a bigger sail. they do put you in a little lower position over the water and add a little movement to "come up" to wave ride or do Tricks-which I very much admire but don't actually do. Been working on just short board tacks for a few years now and have found that alone challenging. But I do make most all my Gybes so had to move on to some thing new and challenging. anyway for all of this the Kite Harness is too big and bulky.
joewindsurf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

I guess generally speaking the answer is no. Kite harnesses are too big and not as comfortable.

hasta
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: