myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Second Beach, RI
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scopper,

yeah the NW wind is gusting hard one minute and you are fully amped up , then the lull hits and and you are jumping out of your straps, forward on the board, the good old gusty NW

like any side off spots, Horseneck and 2nd beach can be light on the inside, so be sure to time the sets, and head out during the lulls between sets,

when I launch from Pt. Judith I park in the parking lot right next to the lighthouse & coastgaurd station, where the parking lot meets the fence, looking towards Jamestown and Newport, the launch is tricking, with rocks, incoming surf and a window shadow from the coastguard station bluff, once you are out everything is good, south, ssw works best here, if it is windy enough to windsurf, it usually clears out the surfers,

If you don't feel comfortable with Pt. Judith, you always have 1st beach in Newport on the SW and Matanuck, which both have easier launches than Pt. Judith.

hope you catch it soon,

John
scooper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks guys,

It sounds like 2nd beach is gusty in NW but probably not as bad as Matunick. The trick will be getting it with some swell. I guess we'll have to watch the buoy reports to know. I'll have to try it so I can compare it to Horseneck.

That fishing area near the Pt Judith lighthouse is called Camp Cronin Fishing Area. I've sailed there inside the breakwater. that was pretty nice with some S swell coming in. You can sail out to a wave spot that the locals call K59. I've parked at the lighthouse and watched surfers on the ocean side. It looks like a spot that I probably wouldn't do without some local guidance though, pretty hairy. Is it worth the trouble of getting out through the rocks when Matunick, 1st Beach and Horseneck are all good in SW? There must be some reason why people do it.

We're due for a good wind/wave day!

dcharlton

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scooper,

You're right, it is pretty hairy to launch from the lighthouse area. I've done it several times and each time comes with risks of triping over some big rocks and getting hurt before the session even starts. Leave that launch for the kiters.

The better launch on a NE is either Scarborough beach or (if it's restricted on a summer day) hit the secret launch by Aunt Caries. It's right down the road from the lighthouse and is a less scarry launch. It's hidden and tough to find but drive behind the Aunt Carries restaurant and you'll see a path that goes about 30 yards and opens up to a much friendlier launch. Had some GREAT Northeasterly days launching there and you go out right in front of the lighthouse and experience some great swell/waves.

BE WARNED...Even though the launch is easier, stay at least 100 yards away from the shoreline to avoid big ugly hidden boulders. Be very careful and have a great time!

DC Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: