myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maryhill sensor whacky?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pabloson

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Maryhill sensor whacky? Reply with quote

I notice it is reading due WEST most days lately. Unusual. Has the construction on the bridge changed something?

Due west is usually a bad sign for The Wall..., but if the sensor has changed then maybe the meaning has too.
gmclean

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need some ground (water) truth! If anyone has been sailing in the Maryhill corridor this spring, let us know the details so we can compare to the sensor data.

Thanks!

George
jesusjones

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: IT's super whacked Reply with quote

Bad, bad, It's waaaaaaaaay off.

Should I go.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  17.86 KB
 Viewed:  18586 Time(s)

Should I go.jpg

Larry.Lampshade

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at the wall yesterday and the direction was spot on, right down the pipe - the direction at the time read 271 degrees. I have been watching the angle and have found that 277 is too north for the wall and had a report that two days ago was good sailing and it was reading 274 -- I figure that if it is over 275 it is starting to risk the north wind which is no good at the wall (very gusty and no port ramps).
gmclean

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

davebrgb wrote:
I was at the wall yesterday and the direction was spot on, right down the pipe - the direction at the time read 271 degrees. I have been watching the angle and have found that 277 is too north for the wall and had a report that two days ago was good sailing and it was reading 274 -- I figure that if it is over 275 it is starting to risk the north wind which is no good at the wall (very gusty and no port ramps).

Thanks, this is very helpful.

George
wooot

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we are talking about sensor wind angle readings...

Whats up w/ the arlington sensor... it's ALWAYS 225, is it lodged against the box on top of the silo??... ( I've heard its on the silo).... its pretty much useless angle wise.

It's been that way for a year, at least.

Rosey sensor angle is still pretty good, 245 will give wind readings way higher than what is on the water, 290 is pretty much unsailable (little gusty patch at the river middle or beyond, with nasty lulls)... (anywhere between 250- 275 being good... 270 being perfectly lined up) but it would be nice to have BOTH sensors
jesusjones

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Always a west reading Reply with quote

The sensor at Maryhill is always reading due west. I know it's mostly WSW there, but this could potentially be a bad deal as the season goes on. Confused
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today it has registered E, WSW. WNW, and W in a credible pattern.

My remaining Q is how can we tell when Doug's shows light wind that it's actually windy on the OR side. Not that I would launch from Doug's in those conditions, but Rowena is right in that pattern and Celilo can HOWL all by itself in a NW cant.

\m/
andymc4610

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this cam shows caps it's either good at celilo or maryhill (rufus). I almost always stop and sail celilo....

http://www.fsvisimages.com/images/photos-large/cori1large.jpg

Rolling Eyes
isobars

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CELILO???!!! But evrebuddy knows Celilo don't get no swell.

Shhhhhhhh ... let 'em keep thinking that.

\m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: