myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wanna be skunk proof? Go long board
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:47 am    Post subject: Wanna be skunk proof? Go long board Reply with quote

Yesterday, the wind and surf was such that, yet again, if one had a long board the conditions were prime for wave sailing for all skill sets and body types. We're not just talking doable either, it was fun on the long board and too much like work or untenable with short boards.

Conditions were side shore to side on. Waves were about head high to maybe a couple foot over. Wind was 10-17, but looked way better. Swells were coming in from the ESE and created a following current that diminished the apparent wind in the impact zone by 2-3 knots.

A friend of mine was not doing well with his 100 liter FS board. I offered my Kona 11-5, and he was all smiles thereafter. What's the use of driving to the beach, sitting around waiting for the wind to pick up to forecasted strengths, if that actually happens? Or, going out anyway and getting schpanked? Long boards make me skunk proof.

Extra time in the surf/TOW makes for better wave riding knowledge and skills, and extra stamina. I was the first on the water and the last to leave. Rode the most waves, etc... BTW, I say these things not to pronounce my place in the pecking order, but to merely flesh out the reasons for doing long boards in the waves.

Later on, the wind finally came up enough for a 105 liter wave board. Tide had pretty much mushed out the surf by then. It was still fun and all, but had we waited with short boards only, we may have either run out of things to discuss or patience, or ... Skunk proof, that's what long boards do.
hilton08

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:23 am    Post subject: Longboards Reply with quote

I agree, a stand up paddle board with a mast track is the way to go. Even here in the Gorge, mine is getting a lot of use already this season. Oddly, I find myself getting excited about the glassy days for paddling. If the wind picks up to 5-10 and ruins the glass, you can pop on a sail and cruise while the kiters and formula guys are still sitting on the beach. In 10-15 we start to get some swell for surfing downwind. Above that, you can switch the sail (already rigged) to a shortboard with footstraps once you are powered enough to be consistently planing.
Unless it is raining or freezing cold, you can get on the water and have fun in just about any conditions.
OliverTwist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a carbon paddle and now take my IMCO board along on light days. Either way I get out on the water, have fun and get exercise. I remove the daggerboard for paddling. I hope to get it out on the ocean this weekend. forecast is for light, side-on winds.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, the IMCO board is very narrow. Maybe there's hope for me to become a better paddler on either of my Konas. I get so many lightwind days with a sail in my hands that I haven't had the motivation to paddle much at all. My skills in that dept suffer. Steve G. at Sandy Point Progressive Sports said I should hone up my paddling with the Kona One using the dagger, in flat water, for extra side to side stability. Hadn't thought of that. Some day, week, when the wind evaporates and I catch up on all my other tasks...
OliverTwist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no trouble on the IMCO on a glassy lake but I tried it in the surf with 2 ft swells and slight side-on chop and it was too wobbly. I won't be taking that board in the surf again. The hard, low rails would also be trouble.
hodg

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Seabrook nuke Reply with quote

Hey OliverTwist - is that Seabrook nuke in your picture.

We had a great day there Thursday - 5.6 Hucker on 100L board - several windsurfers were out in the 68 degree temps! Come on down Cool
Juani222

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi people - I am very interested in hearing about long boards in the light wind, I am trying to ride the beautiful waves of Rhode Island this summer, but as we all know, wind can marginal in the summer...
So how does the stand up paddle board help you in lighter winds? What is the wind range? Which sail do you use for which wind? Do yo get to planing conditions or it is more of cruising along and enjoying the scenery?

OK, too many questions Wink

See ya,

Juan
lowcountry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I'm all over it...I Don't think everyone here gets it, but I took the old superlight out to surf with a 6.0 on Saturday while most were on the beach. I now have a NSI pad on it, so I can go barefoot. It's so fun to have just enough sail to go thru the surf and then turn and ride waves...It also works on the offshore sandbars at mid-tide. Thanks for the sailing session at the mid-winters...John in St. Simons
speedysailor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't need an old longboard to have fun in light winds. A new wide board with considerable volume can be just as much fun. It may not be quite as fast (but you won't be going fast in winds 10 knots or less anyway), but it can handle rather large sails well. I weight 230 lbs. and use a 160 liter Naish Icon and have a lot of fun with an 8.4 and 9.6. For this season I have picked up a 6.9 freestyle sail to increase the challenges.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You don't need an old longboard to have fun in light winds. A new wide board with considerable volume can be just as much fun.

For light wind wave riding, surfable long boards are way better than shortboards. I haven't gotten a chance to ride my new 10'-6" yet, but after having ridden a friend's converted 10' surfboard numerous times, the difference is very noticable. The long boards require less speed and get on a wave much sooner. More fun, less work.

For goofing around in non-planing conditions on flat water though you're right, you just need something with enough volume.

sm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: