myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Second Beach, RI
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikopeikin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Second Beach, RI Reply with quote

Guys , have you been on Second Beach/Sachuest Town Beach?
Any tips for parking? I’ve never been there. Look’s like I have to fetch the board ~300ft from the parking lot. Any other alternative for wave conditions in RI.. and not far from Fogland.

Thanks

--Igor
scooper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only sailed at 1st Beach & 2nd Beach a couple of times and never really caught the right combo of wind and waves, so I can't really advise you. I'd love to learn more myself, regarding best wind directions and swell reports etc.. Any Newport sailors out there?

Horseneck isn't in R.I. but it's pretty close to Fogland, Westport. I just tried it last year and had great luck with the conditions. Some info & pics here- (just skip the boring parts)

http://waterloggedbyscooper.blogspot.com/search/label/Horseneck%20Beach

You can launch right from the state beach if the waves aren't that big, (off season), or from Goosebury Island to avoid any shorebreak on bigger days. You just need someone to show you where to launch thru the rocks. It's good in SW.

shreddbob

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
I had a great day at Second beach one April years ago. Parked in the huge main lot where the dune ended. To get to water by walking to the right around the end of the dune is not long at all. This was a WNW wind day with the NWS posting "high wind" warnings. This wind direction is side to side-off. There was a small swell providing mushy 4- 6 footers. Got some good rides at times. Wind was super gusty though, into low 30 mph range in the gusts. I made the right call by rigging big (4.7) but did get blown around a bit. As well as the waves near shore there is a shallow spot about 1/2 mile straight out that generates some B&J swell. One thing that really sticks with me is how I got very sandblasted in the lot unrigging, and had trouble with sand in my eyes. And the car lost some paint that day!
Bob
spark1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never windsurfed at 2nd, but surfed there tons of times. Before Memorial Day and after Labor Day, parking is free and there is indeed a huge lot. During the peak of summer, the lot gets crowded and you have to pay to park, sometimes as much as $20 on the holiday weekends. I'm not aware of any legit places to park outside of the main lot, and I've seen cars being towed from the residential streets between 1st and 2nd. 2nd is a really popular surfing beach, so if you go, plan to share the waves.
ikopeikin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks !
I'm going try both...Horseneck and 2nd, specially in an unseason time.
And this Saturday looks not bad....S-SW wind

--Igor
scooper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Igor,

I thought I might get out with you this weekend at 2nd or Horseneck but the forecast doesn't look very good right now. I'll check it again tomorrow. It's been a long time since I was out in a typical SW. Do we still get wind from that direction?

ikopeikin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks not good for tomorrow at all,
and Sunday will be NW .. I'll see tomorrow
JohnnyA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

second beach is the call on the North west winds, if there is a swell this place is as good as any on the east coast, great side shore to side off shore with a good swell, 10 foot faces to mast high this place is incrediable,

on the south west or SSW, Point Judith produces great point breaks, launching from the rocks is tough on the feet, Point Judith also works good, on South, and SE. Matanuck works good on SW, W, SE and E, with great waves as well, watch the rocks on the inside during low tides, and of course 1st beach in Newport on the SW, Horesenck in MA works good too on a NW. plenty of wave spots in Rhody, hit the lip, see ya in the pit, aloha
scooper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny,

Thanks, this is the kind of info that's really helpful!

I've sailed at Matunick in NW and it was really bad, (probably why you didn't recomend it in your post), but Horsneck in NW is pretty good. Is 2nd beach more like Horsneck, winds up and down but not too bad for an offshore? Or is it more crazy up and down, blocked by the land, like Matunick? The hard part with NW at Horseneck seems to be getting it with some left over swell, since the offshore wind doesn't build any waves.

Also, I'm not sure where you can launch to get a point break at Pt. Judith. Maybe near the lighthouse? I've launched from Georges, Roger Wheeler, Camp Cronin. I've heard that it's possible to launch near the lighthouse but it looks even more rocky than Matunick. I don't think I would try it without a local showing me the ropes.

strider

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooper,

at point judith, there is a state parking area for fishermen.
the entrance is located a few hundred yard before the lighthouse lot, on the right.

the parking lot sits on the west side of the point (very rocky)
but its also at the extreme east end of the sand-hill cove breakwater
(sandy protected launch)
sometimes there is good surf on the inside as well.

For folks that haven't been to 2nd beach. During the summer the launch is limited to the far east end. access to the water is a short walk from the lot through one of the 'cuts' in the dunes. no grassy rigging areas, so the parking lot is the only real choice. its all pretty easy.

current "off-season" mode lets you acccess anywhere but logic dictates somewhere between the pavillion and the east end.

the surfers are at the west corner of the beach with a nasty wind shadow from the cliffs. so its not too often you'll want to share the waves with them.

-bill

PJ.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.6 KB
 Viewed:  17911 Time(s)

PJ.JPG

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: