myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tampa Bay Slalom Race Report

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bviehman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Tampa Bay Slalom Race Report Reply with quote

Slalom Races on April 5 at Tierra Verde, Tampa Bay Florida

It was great to see 17 people showing up for a slalom race on two day notice. Most people that had not raced before, hadn’t raced slalom in years, out racing on Sat. for our slalom races. Mainly everyday people that windsurf when they can were out with their everyday gear blasting across the starting line. Not a true slalom racer with the lastest and greatest race gear to be seen. There was new gear, old gear, wave sails and boards, freeride stuff galore, but the important thing that I saw was the smiles and the statement, “Let me know when you are doing this again.” I heard it time and time again. There were teenagers, women and everyday guys out starting with all the chaos, blasting down the line, jibing and sometimes falling. They were all driven by the desire to go faster than the sucker beside or behind them, who was their friend before the starting sequence. There were some great races, almost 20 people racing from all over the West Coast of Florida, great winds, it was 22-25 all day with waist-deep water all the way around the race course. You can’t get much better than that.

The energy, the stoke was palpable on the beach. You could taste the excitement. It was a great reminder after all the talk of windsurfing has been cancelled, people are excited about windsurfing. Windsurfing is such a great sport.

See the some pics from the races on www.nbwindsurfing.com/photos/index.html

Come, take part in the fun next time!

Results after 5 races and 1 throwout

1.Tom Derricks
2.Greg Rata
3.Taz
Tied 4.Bruce Matlock
Tied 4.Tyler Heston
Tied 6.Chip
Tied 6. Mack Paschall
8. Stefan Kaschkadayez
9. Mike Mitchell
9. Jack Thompson
Tied 11. Jon Birkelund
Tied 11. Jonathon Erbele
13. Bob
14. Alexis Ackman
15. Cullen Ahearn
16. Ray Vinson
17. Kathy Adams

Thanks to all the sailors who came out and made this a great success, and the supporters, like Maui Sails, F2 and Fanatic

Britt

North Beach Windsurfing
www.nbwindsurfing.com
JonTheSailorMan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Britt for putting on the event! I'd never slalom raced before this last Saturday, way to much fun for anybodies good. Craziest race starts I've ever seen! I can't wait to for another one:)
cagjr21150

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cagjr21150

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Tampa Bay Group is looking for local leadership. If your Tampa or west central Florida located, contact Clyde.

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/westcfw/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: