myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Writer seeks windsurfers for story on "River Nose"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WMP

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got a theory on "River Nose". Don't think it's a change in water quality..... nope, we've got the same old gunk we had 10 years ago. I think there's a change in people's stress levels. Folks are more mentally stressed = body's immune system doesn't do as well fighting the battle. Also, when sailors age they tend to not sail as much, not in as good shape..... again, stress the body out and this takes toll on the immune system = lost battle.

Yep, back when I was married, I was ALWAYS sick..... result of stress. Now that I'm single and free again... haven't been sick for a very long time.... no river nose. Staying active, living healthy sure helps. Finding the right woman helps too.... wrong woman will kill ya every time.
jesusjones

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: It should be called River Flu Reply with quote

Symptoms include severe congestion, both the nose and chest. Flu like symptoms, fatigue, and difficulty breathing. There have been cases of Guardia and lower GI track infections. Ear infections, nose infections, eye problems, and other sicknesses. There’s know question that the Columbia River is sick. Major pollution from agricultural, industria,l and every day human uses make this river terrible.

I love windsurfing, I'm going to sail. I don't care what happens. It's a damn ****ing shame.

Last year KATU Channel 2 did a story on this very subject after I started a thread on this very subject. There was interest from all news channels, River Keeper, and others. There's supposed to be some tests or something going on. Anyone is welcome to contact me todd@goarinc.com.

That river could be cleaned up quickly but why isn’t it? It's because of big business, self interests, and government corruption and collusion. People are selfish and care mostly about making the most money they can and leaving their garbage behind for someone else to clean up. That’s what’s going to happen to our future residents.

Look back if you will at the complete stupidity of our forefathers. The Grand Coulee Damn, Fish wheels, completely; logging the land leaving nothing. What haven’t the past governs not mismanaged? The list adds on infinite item. So……what’s next?
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A. I've inhaled it, swallowed it, and gotten it in every orifice many hundreds of times every year for 20 years now. As long as I stay upriver of Longview, WA (above Clatskenie), I have very few problems. If I get The Nose, a few weeks of nasal irrigation fixes it up. I've never experienced flu symptoms from the river, breathing is difficult only when trapped under my sail by that OTHER Horror Of Da River, the dreaded twisted harness line, and the only fatigue the river has given me is cured by a day with no wind plus huge quantities of carbohydrates.

B. Water is a natural trap for everything that contacts it, as nothing that blows or falls or washes in is going to jump back out. Cleaned up quickly? Uhhhh ... how's that?

C. How ya going to remove one of its worst offenders: pollen?

It's nature, exacerbated by man. If ya want to swim in drinking water, go to a pool.

Oops! They're full of chlorine and urine. Guess you're screwed. Oh, well ... by FAR a greater threat is the saturated fat you eat and driving your Prius to the organic food fiesta.

\m/
blireef

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many rats in the cage!!! It is the source of most problems.....
winfreak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Preventative measures are best Reply with quote

As a coast surfer/sailor, I have suffered ill effects from inoculating the sinuses often enough that I started wearing a noseplug MANY years ago, for all water activities, in all waters. It's easy, and it works.
Think of it as Darcy repellant! -P

P.S. In cold water, earplugs are a good idea as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: