myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Current Lake Isabella Temperatures and tips
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
*Matt*

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Current Lake Isabella Temperatures and tips Reply with quote

I was thinking about making my first trip up to Isabella next weekend or the weekend after. I am a beginner, in the harness, water starting, but not in the foot straps. I have been out in 4.5 conditions successfully, but still spend a lot of time in the water.

So, has the water warmed up enough for beginners?

What do I need to do to get my boards “registered” for the lake? Can I do this online or Saturday morning?

I can get to the town, but how do I find the windsurfing spots? auxiliary dam main beach? the ghetto? The windsurfers camp area?
STEIN

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isabella is a great place for intermediates. smooth water. I've been going for 20 years. The water will be cold, you'll need a 4/3 wetsuit. I just looked at the temps, 49 air temp. you can get board tags at the main gas station in town just off the main off ramp, personally I've never bought one, never been ask for one. But, I go on weekdays.

If you stay on the freeway past the damm, then go left at the auxiliery damm sign and you can camp 5 feet from the water the whole weekend. The Ghetto is farther down the highway past the damm turnoff about a 1/2 mile "old kernville road", go through the parking lot on the right and onto the dirt, down to the water(it's where I always go, a little more chop and no jet ski's), have fun.

Bill
*Matt*

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips. How long do you guys think until a 3/2 wetsuit will do the trick?

Matt
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Current Lake Isabella Temperatures and tips Reply with quote

*Matt* wrote:
I am a beginner, in the harness, but not in the foot straps. I have been out in 4.5 conditions.

Now THAT ought to provide some good stuff for America's Funnest Home Videos! Wink

Hey,Matt .. better get in the straps or buy a helmet, 'cause you're going to bring new meaning to the word, "catapult". Be glad "it's only water".

BTW, air temps aren't the issue; it's water temps that determine wet suit thickness. Get a hood before ya go; they add a tremendous amount of warmth.

\m/
sergem

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Current Lake Isabella Temperatures and tips Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
BTW, air temps aren't the issue; it's water temps that determine wet suit thickness.

Beg to differ - wet suit sickness would depend on water temp, air temp and wind speed (evaporation). Today it was 60 in the water, 54 in the air and 20-35 wind. BLOODY COLD!

isobars wrote:
Get a hood before ya go; they add a tremendous amount of warmth. \m/

Matt, with 49 in the air, get a 4/3, some layering and definitely a hood - a lot of heat loss happens through the head
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Current Lake Isabella Temperatures and tips Reply with quote

sergem wrote:
isobars wrote:
BTW, air temps aren't the issue; it's water temps that determine wet suit thickness.

Beg to differ - wet suit sickness would depend on water temp, air temp and wind speed (evaporation).

Water sucks our heat out 25 times faster than air does, Matt will be in the water a lot, evaporative cooling is minimal on slickskin neoprene, and I believe we should always dress for the long swim -- not the quick broad reach -- to shore.

\m/
*Matt*

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have the gear for 120 deg air plus water temp, but it is not super fun. Plus, camping won’t be fun at those temperatures. Maybe I’ll check back in with you in a month?

I forget that it is not summer because it is always 70+ here.

Matt
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooffff ... trying to sleep in that kind of heat .... not for me. Wink

\m/
spennie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt:
Spennie the Wind Junkie here, King of the Lake Isabella Trailer Trash Windsurfing Association (LITTWA). We camp at the Aux Dam, downwind end, near the jibing bay. As soon as the air hits 60, you'll be fine in your 3/4 wetsuit. If you'd like to get my Fearless Forecast for Lake Isabella every Thursday (80% accuracy) right on your computer, e-mail me through my website www.windjunkie.net . Then come and join us at the Aux Dam, just look for my giant Sailworks flag, I'll teach you how to jibe with both feet out of the straps! Wink --Spennie
victor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

use the "100 degree rule"

if the water temp and air temp don't add up to over 100 you probably shouldn't be sailing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: