myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
DC to OBX

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
builderguy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: DC to OBX Reply with quote

What is the best route to OBX from DC. 95 becomes a parking lot way too often. Gotta believe there is a back road route to get'er done. Former Great Lakes sailor needs a fix!
morwind4me

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming from the North I have taken I81 to I66, then south on Rte 17 to I95. Definately not the most direct route, but it has saved me time and headache....don't like dealing with DC traffic.
ccyne

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rt 1 from DC to Fredricksburg is the only alternate Route I know. Usually once you get to Fredericksburg the traffic thins out considerably on I95. From there it is smooth sailing to I-295 then to I-64. I-64 can be a problem if there is an accident or during rush hour. If it is, Rt 60 or Rt 143 parallel I-64.
Rt. 17 from Fredricksburg will bypass all the interstate traffic till you hit Newport News. It is 4 lane highway and thers is not much around. Do watch out for Cops though.

To get across the James River during the day, always take the I-664 tunnel. Once you are on 158 and 168 and hit traffic you are screwed there is no way around it.

If you time it right you can hit all the metro areas when traffic is lighter.
On 95 I always tried to be past Potomac Mills mall sometime between 3 and 4pm you will hit Williamsburg @ 5:30 to 6:30. Hampton roads @ 45 min later and you should be on the island about an hour and a half after that. If it is Summer and a weekend go as early or late as possible. Ive seen people creep along for 4 hours this side of the Wright Memorial bridge.
I used to make that trip often as a District manager @10 years ago. Of course construction at the mixing bowl was awful back then, hope it's a little better now.
builderguy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Trip Duration Reply with quote

How long should I plan on when making the drive from DC to OBX
btbill

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DC to OBX with minimal traffic is 4.5 hrs (to the Wright Memorial (KH) bridge onto the islands). If you are then going to Avon, its another hour from the KH Bridge. If leaving from DC, recommend an early start. When I lived in DC and traveled to the OBX every weekend, I used to leave at 2:00am. Living now on the OBX I drive it all the time year round for work/family visits.

Note, if driving on a Saturday during the summer, be sure to make the KH bridge before 10:00am. If not, you could be in 15+ miles of mainland traffic waiting for the traffic light where people are heading to Duck/Corolla (you could sit in that traffic for 4 hrs!). This is especially the case on the busy weekends, such as Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day.

64 is another part of the trek which can get backed up pretty bad. Especially if there is an accident, or ongoing road construction. A bypass is 460 which you can catch further down 295.

Bill
www.obxbeachlife.com
builderguy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.5 hours plus the drive down into Avon. I can easily live with that. This could make living in DC tolerable. For some crazy reason I thought it took twice that long. Great advise on how to go about making the run. You guy's rule. Now I just gotta get my rotator cuff put back together. Hoping to catch the fall season.

Next question is there enough to keep my wife busy on the island like a jet ski rental or something so she isn't just sitting on the beach freezing and getting sand blasted? Also, is this a good place to get her to learn the sport or is it going to get her too beat up.

Thanks for all the feedback.
ccyne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as things for your girl friend to do.... Paying to rent jet skis could get expensive @ $100 an hour. Best thing to do is get her lessons, by the way Hatteras is arguably the best place on the East Coast to learn. The water in the sound is waist to shoulder high for about two miles straight out.
There is sailing to be had around DC check here... http://www.windsurfbaba.org or here http://thewindmap.com
If you want a quick day trip to Hampton Roads/Tidewater check http://www.windvisions.com or http://www.sailwet.com/ The letsrig mailing list associated with the sites will let you know which launch everyone is at.
mainman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Beginner lessons in Hatteras Reply with quote

The best thing for girlfriends or boyfriends of windsurfers is to have them take a lesson .
Beginner lessons are fun and students can continue to practice after the lessons .
All equipment is rigged and ready on the beach , water depth is waist deep and perfect for beginners .
Here is our website for more info .
http://www.oceanairsports.com/windsurfing_lessons.cfm

regards , Brendt
btbill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh! Girlfriends and OBX windsurfing can be a tough mix! Especially, if you are frequenting the OBX during the prime Spring/Fall windsurfing seasons. Basically, the blowing sand is a real downer for significant others. You will be having a great time on the water while she will be miserable laying out on a sand blasted beach. I went though three (fairly long term) girlfriends while visiting the OBX for windsurfing and I learned the following:

1) Take them to/sail at a place like Hatteras Island Sail Shop (if you can rent the apt upstairs, even better) where they can hang out at a "sheltered" area and interact with others hanging around the shop. You can also rent beginner gear or have her take a lesson right there at the shop.
2) Have a 4WD/AWD pick up truck or van with room in the back for "shelter" on the sand. The pickup bed provides elevated shelter from the blowing sand, and works for them "laying out" on a beach chair. A cooler and some food will make them happy. A van also provides shelter as needed, and a makeshift wind block can be easily made with a boardbag between the windward side vehicle tires.
3) Spend at least one night in a B&B or other nice place, to ensure it is not all about windsurfing.
4) Do not bring her "every time," especially during the spring/fall. Summer visits are easier since the winds usually blow from the SW, and the weather/water is much warmer. Though, note that the biting flies can be pretty bad, and that is definitely a girlfriend no-no!

All in all, if it is a new relationship, it will be much easier for her to "enjoy" herself in the harsh environment of an OBX windsurfing visit, but if you have been dating a while, the above four recommendations are worth consideration. As mentioned, I went through three non-windsurfng girlfriends during my single stint and experienced everything from one of them yelling at the top of her lungs for me to come back to the beach at Ego while wavesailing a 4.7m day(though, I did have to make one more run!); to pleasant memorable times with another enjoying time hanging out at HISS, and calmer summer days parked on the beach with my old AWD minivan at Salvo Ramp (married this one!).

Good luck!

Bill
www.obxbeachlife.com
builderguy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wife is a pretty good sport, but you are right about taking some time out and keeping her in the happy zone. I held off trying to get her into windsurfing back in Michigan because the wind was so wacky. Hoping that OBX can solve that problem and get her hooked on the sport. Then I can justify purchasing the super small board and rigs. Ya gotta dream a little when you live in the city....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: