myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Anyone has information on wave spots around Point Reyes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VinceSF

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Anyone has information on wave spots around Point Reyes? Reply with quote

I have done some research but found nothing about where to go.
I have heard of wave spots on the coast in the Point reyes National Seashore park.
Can anyone give me some info?

much appreciated,

Vincent
madspaniard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Vincent,

check this out

http://forums.iwindsurf.com/viewtopic.php?t=14049
http://forums.iwindsurf.com/viewtopic.php?t=14235

Palo Marin, Tuba Mancha, Tomales, Limantour
alexi123456

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Limantour/tuba Reply with quote

Upwind of Limantour aprox. 30 min sail depending on how powered you are is Tuba. Tuba works best on a south swell, it will otherwise be flat. As your sailing upwind you will see it because it's the only really rideable wave around unless you like riding shorebreak. The wind here blows side-off and usually blows HARD (4.5 and down) The waves are CLEAN, groomed by side-off winds. Bring a buddy, if you break down on the way up or back Hawaii is your first stop. The water is beautiful, clear, like the carribean, it also has a reputation for large Great Whites. Never saw one myself, but the air is thick with the vibe. If memory serves me this spot is best with a N/nw wind. Have fun!

P.S. the wind can shutdown fast here, especially in the late afternoon. Also if you sail to close to shore you'll sail into a wind shadow. Its not fun lying in the water around here! I like to use a board that I can have a chance of uphauling and limping back in with.
VinceSF

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

I had heard of tuba mancha but was not able to spell it right.
I am definitely up to try it. especially since I have the perfect surf board for it: floaty enough to shlog in case the wind comes down but short enough for higher wind.

Do you often go? if so I wouldn't getting in touch with you offline.
alexi123456

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vince,

I used to go, I don't live in the Bay Area anymore. This is a great time of year to go though (spring.) As the season heads into summer, fog shuts the wind down up their. I think Tomales Bay is the sensor I used to monitor. This is another spot for BIG winds in the area BTW. Tomales is literally a small pull over spot on the side of the road on Tomales bay. When its good here it's 3.0 to 4.0 sailing from 6am till dusk. The Ebb tide creates Gorge size swells. When Tomales is reading North or North/nw and no FOG, Limantour and therefore Tuba should be working. I didn't sail at Tuba a lot in the 12 years I lived in SF, and its a hit or miss spot, but when you get all the factors together it can be AWESOME.

To get to Tuba go to Limantour beach and sail up wind. If you continue up highway 1 about 30 min past the Limantour turn off, towards the town of Marshall, you'll get to Tomales Bay (famous for its oysters) Tomales was one of my favorite spots for big spring winds. Smooth swells, no crowds, starboard jumping, eat yummy seafood after big session. Here due North wind is the best, funnels straight down the bay.

happy sailing
Alexi
victor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dillon Beach offers good wave sailing under the right conditions. On a good NW you get side shore to side onshore winds. In the spring it can really blow. It is at the mouth of Tomales Bay facing the Pt.Reyes peninsula. Nice funky little beach town. The beach is on private land but open to the public for a nominal parking fee. A little farther down the road is a large campground behind the dunes owned by the same people. On very low tide days it fills up with people coming to dig long necked clams. I had a good time on a landsailer there one day.

There was a shark attack on a surfer there last Summer. Being at the mouth of the bay and prime seal habitat I'm sure there are plenty of them out there.

As metnioned there are a couple good launches farther up inside Tomales Bay where it can also get nuclear with head high swell.

Farther North on 101 is Bodega Bay. People sail Doran Beach although it is believed to be even sharkier than Dillon. That keeps most sailers inside the bay where the tide has to be at least two feet to sail and usually by late April you'll need a weed fin.

Pretty much anywhere from the Golden Gate to Fort Bragg,including the aformentioned Limantour/Tubamancha, is shark water. But, hey, wtf, a meteroite can fall on your head while your on the toilet so get out there and try not to miss your turns on the outside.
pduff

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Tuba Reply with quote

Vincent,
Tuba is really worth checking-out. Even if you get a mediocre session, the beauty of the place more than compensates. Tuba should be happening when the Tomales wind meter is reading NW 22 plus. If you want to plan ahead, it will usually blow when NOAA is predicting NW 20-30 (15-25 could be iffy).

Pat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: