myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
pleasure bay
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icesailing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: pleasure bay Reply with quote

hi gang had alot of fun at quannapowitt this winter hope we can get everyone over at pleasure bay this spring. wind hits it good on the southerly directions. super flat water great for high speed runs and formula sailing.visited for my first time last year. place was goin off. lots of kite boards ripen it up too.
spark1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a great day last Saturday at Pleasre Bay. I rigged my 8.0 in the afternoon as the wind was dropping a bit, and still was nicely powered most of the time. It was a northwest wind, which was actually pretty fun there. I was the only one out, and got a few head shakes from walkers as I was rigging, but was plenty warm for 2+ hours without gloves.
gt007

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a northwest or pure west, Squantum is actually a lot better than Pleasure Bay. Sailed there on Saturday well powered up on the gusts (7.4 sail and 127 liter board).
loko4wind

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gt007 wrote:
On a northwest or pure west, Squantum is actually a lot better than Pleasure Bay. Sailed there on Saturday well powered up on the gusts (7.4 sail and 127 liter board).

Hi Gt007,

How is the drysuit holding in this freezing 38F waters ??
Planning to sail tomorrow after 4:30 in p-bay if is not raining and there is some wind left.

!!
gt007

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kokatat drysuit, although quite expensive, is worth every cent. My major problem still resides in my hands. The glacier gloves are the best I have ever had, but last Saturday I still felt a bit of pain in my fingers after sailing for about an hour.

However, my drysuit will have a limited future now that I am moving in July to Miami. I cannot say that I will be missing the frigid Boston waters.
spark1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's Squantum in relation to Pleasure Bay?
alex177

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

straight on south - http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=42.301423,-71.013385&spn=0.001732,0.004227&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=42.301453,-71.013375[/url]
Quote:
gt007

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are heading south on 93, take exit 12 (neponset). Take a right off the exit and head straight. You will go up a ramp and bear left to head into squantum (the right lane goes into quincy). From then on, it is a straight line all the way to the end of the road. When you reach the end of the road, you wil take a left (you will see a cvs and a dunkin donuts) and from this point on you will just drive straight to reach the launch site. I actually launch from a tiny piece of land which hardly qualifies as a beach but is called nickerson beach. Parking is available in any side street and is never a problem. The only caution here is sailing at low tide. It is sailable but you need to use a relatively small fin because I have lost a fin here once.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gt007 wrote:
The Kokatat drysuit, although quite expensive, is worth every cent. My major problem still resides in my hands. The glacier gloves are the best I have ever had, but last Saturday I still felt a bit of pain in my fingers after sailing for about an hour.

However, my drysuit will have a limited future now that I am moving in July to Miami. I cannot say that I will be missing the frigid Boston waters.

You'll miss the wind, though. Boston is one of the windiest cities. this made it a much busier port back in the Age of Sail.
gt007 wrote:
The glacier gloves are the best I have ever had, but last Saturday I still felt a bit of pain in my fingers after sailing for about an hour.

I haven't sailed in March now for a few years. Getting older, I just don't feel that waters with ice on them are tempting. My Glacier Gloves served me in good stead and remain a keepsake now that they have developed so many leaky holes and tears.
gt007

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedysailor,

No offense to Boston or the Cape, but have you ever sailed in Miami? I have windsurfed most sites on the cape, except for the cut, and not a single one of them beats the windsurfing at Virginia Key. The only places that I sailed that are actually better than Virginia Key are my home waters in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Cabarette in the Dominican Republic.

Particularly in Boston, a lot of the sailing that I have experienced has been with northwest and southwest winds. In both cases, whether it is Pleasure Bay or Squantum, the wind is extremely gusty. The sites in Miami definitely do not share that characteristic, the only inconvenience there are the weeds. But hey, it is cheaper to buy even 2 weed fins rather than having to buy a drysuit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: