myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Jersey Shore: Weather is getting better! Anyone Sailing??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bred2shred

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, Trixies is deep and during the week, the park is usually pretty empty. But, it would definitely not be my first choice on West or NorthWest. Both of those directions have an off shore component so unless you sail in the creek, you'll get a wind shadow. South and South West are the best directions at Trixies.

North and North East also work, but getting out can be a little tricky. On those directions, I try to launch all the way down at the end of the peninsula at the swimming beach if there are no guards (like during the off-season or hurricane winds).

sm
ride-no-work

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bred2shred wrote:
Agreed, Trixies is deep and during the week, the park is usually pretty empty. But, it would definitely not be my first choice on West or NorthWest. Both of those directions have an off shore component so unless you sail in the creek, you'll get a wind shadow. South and South West are the best directions at Trixies.

North and North East also work, but getting out can be a little tricky. On those directions, I try to launch all the way down at the end of the peninsula at the swimming beach if there are no guards (like during the off-season or hurricane winds).

sm

North/Northwest is only good at Seaside, that is what I meant anyway. Northeast there is a shadow at Trixies. There is one more beach straight North from Trixies, on the mainland, it's always been there but was made bigger a few years ago. Makes a good kite beach, good on N,NE,S,SW, no shadow at all, sailed there twice. Go North from Trixies, hug the bay, across the small bridge that goes over the marshes, hang a RIGHT on Allen rd. All the way to the dead end. Directly across the bay from top of the mast. Some of the best windsurfing on the bay. If they would put bathrooms there, I would leave Trixies for good. If any one wants to sail there or anywhere on the Barnaget, P.M. me here, I am looking for people to sail with this summer, will finish school mid summer.
www.NjWind.info

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome, appreciate the info! I actually never sailed Trixies, but I'm really curious. A fellow surf buddy here in Philly constantly raves about how great the chop can get there (comparing it to other bays such as Lakes and LBI). On south directions I hear too that its best to sail there.

By the way, its looking good for the next days. The temperatures are shooting back up in the 50s and its supposed to blow. Anybody planning to head out soon, where? It'd be nice to get a crowd together...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windsurfing Blog New Jersey
JohnnyA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we sailed last thursday and friday, the north west winds were howling three of us sailed thurs and two of us were out friday at sandy hook, the swells in the channel were rolling in, nice ramps, 4.7, 4.2 or 3.7 were the sails of choice, see you on the water,
shredmaster518

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: I was out yesterday Reply with quote

just got back from a ski-trip in Colorado(i was getting email about how windy it was while I was out there ... it happens) Thank God skiing was AWESOME!!!

but if you anyone wants to stay in touch I sailed all winter at Lakes Bay

been sailing there since about '83

I started out in a shorty but realized that the water is too chilly

but had a nice little sesh

I try to get out anytime it is windy ... it's part of my job ... hehehehehe *Cool

call or email me direct to hook up
610-329-3128 Pete
peteATrichpeteDOTcom

The Best Windsurfing Boards on the Planet
www.realwind.com
rswabsin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on what actually happens Saturday with the wind and where speeds are greatest, I might sail the bay in Seaside or possibly ocean side up at Sandy Hook if the wind is strong enough. Anyone up for trying oceanside at the Hook. Could also be some fun small waves coming in. Another fun spot in north/northeast winds is Ideal beach in Port Monmouth (aka the Spy House).

Rob
JoanDS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have gone into the bay a couple times at LBI this week. On tuesday it was in the 30's SSW... perfect day.

I'm in a drysuit, don't have to wear gloves (otherwise I wouldn't sail) today I wore a hood, not Tuesday.

To me, I like this time of year the most. Love the anticipation of the weather shift and getting into odd situations like being in the middle of the bay in fog that's so dense you can't see anything.... other than you know you just came from one direction, so you need to go back the other way.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is one more beach straight North from Trixies, on the mainland, it's always been there but was made bigger a few years ago. Makes a good kite beach, good on N,NE,S,SW, no shadow at all, sailed there twice. Go North from Trixies, hug the bay, across the small bridge that goes over the marshes, hang a RIGHT on Allen rd. All the way to the dead end.

I sailed the beach at Allen Rd. for the first time on Sunday for about 3 hours - good sesh of upper 20's to lower 30's. I will say that this spot is pretty nice for North East. The wind was side on and it puts you right into the bay. I've launched at the swimming beach at the end of trixies on NE in the past, but this is easier. The only downside I see is that, at least right in front of the parking lot, there are some big rocks, so you need to wear shoes.

I'm also thinking the summer powerboat traffic may be a little better here since the channel is pretty far from shore and also I'm guessing there are fewer jetskis than at trixies.

sm
motogon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm.... Interesting. Very Happy I have to check out that spot next time. Been on Trixis couple times but never like it. That wind shadow, jetskies, ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: