myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The Cut today?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scooper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: The Cut today? Reply with quote

Is anyone up for sailing at the Cut this afternoon? It's hard to find consensus on the forecasts but it looks like there could be good wind from the N or NE with incoming tide after 2:30, strongest wind late in the afternoon, mostly dry.

I don't like to sail there by myself.

I'm going to drive down and take a look around 1 or 2. If the wind goes NW I'll probably go over to Mayflower or Corporation.

Number-nine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not today
tomorrow likely
Juani222

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scooper - I'm going to Fogland this afternoon... by the way, I checked your blog, and you have pretty good pics there. What model is your red board? I'm looking for a new board for wave riding (in "New England conditions", of course)... any tip?

Thanks, and see you around,

Juan
scooper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comment about my pics. I'm having fun with a relatively new DSLR. I sailed at the cut yesterday but I didn't get any great shots.

The red board is a Real Wind, Carbon Power Surf, 85 liter. Real Wind has a rep in R.I., Mitch, that will let you demo any of their boards if you're interested. I've gotten to know him a little from demoing and sailing with him. Here's his email- mitchlev10@cox.net. RW has great customer service.

I'm not really an expert on board design but I can tell you what I like about the 85 liter RW board.

Thrusters- 2 small side fins, lets me carry a smaller center fin, great for sailing in shallow, also good for when I'm hanging on by my teeth and my board trim is less than perfect.

lots of nose scoop- my previous high wind board was pretty flat up front. I hated that in waves and big chop. I actully stuck the nose in a few times in waves, maybe just an indicator of my skill level, but that never happens on the RW.

Slightly longer and narrower than is trendy now- It's just long enough to rest my boom on the back of the board for waterstarts. I think this shape helps cut through chop in high winds, bounce less when carving.

I think the shorter, wider boards are good for sailing in onshore waves, early planing, and doing slashy turns, but my priority is just getting out on these wild days. I want control in rough water. If I could buy 2 more boards- first I'd get a 75 liter Real Wind for those over 35 days, (I'm saving my pennies), then a short wide waveboard for moderate onshore wavesailing, (that would be icing on the cake).

My best advice is to try a few different shapes before you buy.

Good luck

Juani222

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sccoper - thanks for the advice. I went to Fogland last Saturday, pretty good session.
I hope to see you around...

Juan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: