myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Lake Isabella Fishing Derby
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindSapien

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Lake Isabella Fishing Derby Reply with quote

The Lake Isabella Fishing Derby is scheduled for the weekend of March 15-16-17,2008. So far the wind hasn't kicked in and the water is low but sailable. If you are planning your first trip up to the lake around that time of March you might postpone it one week and not have to deal with all the irate ,elbow to elbow anglers that aren't very windsurfer friendly.The motorhomes and trailers start lining up a week or two early and there have been multiple incidents of hostile encounters in the past.I for one don't mind rolling in the dirt on principle but I like to pick my battles and this isn't in our best interest. Lets give this one weekend to these guys and keep the peace. Most locals enjoy the commerce we windsurfers bring to the area but this is a very big deal to the local community. $100,000 in prizes. Please take this into consideration. WS
mpierce

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Derby Reply with quote

I could not disagree more. If the wind blows, there will be a group of sailors having a great time, and getting along with 99.9% of the fishermen during the derby. The problems that have occurred in the past were in large part due to many years of no wind during the derby. Hence, a small percentage of the “fishing persuasion” got the idea that the Lake was theirs for the weekend. By staying away when the wind blows, it only reinforces that myth. Last year on the last day of the derby a small group of us sailed the windiest day of the year without incident. Hey, don’t come to the Lake if you’re not comfortable with that decision, but don’t stay away just because you think the fishermen own the rights to the water. If the wind is blowing, I will be there.
dogalone

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure did seem to be gettin' with it Saturday
madmax7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: derby Reply with quote

thanks for update WSapien, I can wait... look forward to a great spring, hope the water level picks up...

Max.
WindSapien

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MP.
I knew when I posted this info I would ruffle some panties. No one said anything about giving up the lake to the fishermen because they think it's their lake. If you have been reading the forum you might be aware of all the BS out there trying to shut us down in Maui and other venues. I don't give a Hoot if you sail or not I live here at the lake and have sailed here for twenty years and I don't consider it my lake. It was just a suggestion . For the benefit of all.
WS

Last edited by WindSapien on Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Briangat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohh, the irony... First the incident, now the thread....
"unsuccessfull at catching the worlds dumbest creature"
- Windsurfer, 2007 Isabella Derby Day
Fish On!
mpierce

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Derby Reply with quote

WS

Ah, a good healthy debate; like the ones you speak of between the fishing contingent and the windsurfing community associated with the derby. To help straighten you out about the fisherman “we windsurfers” killed last year; let me share some facts with you. The incident occurred one week before the derby, and the elderly gentleman that died probably would have met the same fate even if the unbelievably patient sailor had not walked his gear near the elderly gentleman’s trailer anyways (a personal friend of mine and not confrontational at all). By the way, the fisherman’s family was parked 10 yards away and if they left his trailer, I’m sure they had good reason. Helps to be there when you speak of events. Dude, if you are not comfortable sailing next weekend don’t come out. But last time I checked, we still live in America, and there are Americans dying to protect our rights to freedom. You make your own choice—I will make mine. If next Saturday is anything like today, you’re going to miss a great day. As for the name-calling, I will leave that to those who have a difficult time expressing themselves civilly.
superkraut

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

instead of whining about giving up one weekend to the fishermen, why don't we grab a weekend for ourselves? The "Inaugural Lake Isabella Wind Festival", say the first weekend in June, with races and clinics for the sailors, and an intro to windsurfing for all comers, and drag races between windsurfers, dinghies and cats, sunrise Stand-up expeditions, and raffles, and campfire discussions about safe and eco-friendly use of the lake, etc etc
Promote it in town, inviting the locals, and solicit input & donations from local business. Show the locals that windsurfers can be a considerable economic boon, and are - generally - a bit more civilized than fishermen or the motorized crowd.
Eva
WindSapien

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Isabella Derby con't Reply with quote

Your right Mark...
It was very good today. Not too chilly.....
Note edited post.WS

Last edited by WindSapien on Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Briangat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Wind Fest 09? Reply with quote

The Kern County Board of Trade awarded 250k in tourism grants this year to attract visitors to the area. All non-profits organizations are encouraged to apply. A wind festival sounds like a fantastic idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: