myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windsurfing vehicle, Mini Van ,SUV,Honda Element or box van
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeLaRonde

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

farabi wrote:
when i researched those last time i heard that you need to buy two of them at once so that you can drive one when other is being fixed... %)

Baloney, AstroSafari is a reliable vehicle good for like 300K trouble-free miles with nothing except oil changes. (that includes all things that need oil)

there is truth behind this myth however:
they never rust, so lots of people buy old ones and fix them up. Since this can be an ideal vehicle for both work (if you're a contractor) and play, I can understand enthusiasts having a nearly identical daily driver while they build or rebuild their next van...and when its time to upgrade(this vehicle is virtually unchanged from 1996-2006), you might want to keep the old van for longer than usual, in order to transfer your modifications!

I will try to post pics(0f gear/sleeper platform) before April 08 Hatteras trip!

Mike L
carl

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sergem wrote:
carl wrote:
I have thought about turbocharging the minivan though. For some reason (non-w.s.ers) laugh and say why the heck would anybody put a turbo on a minivan?

Carl, did you ever give a thought to Chevy Caprice/Impala SS Wagon ~'94, with LT1 engine trim? Loads of cargo depth, throw in police interceptor suspension and _rip_. Might even get more miles per gallon (15) compared to minivan turbo Smile

Hafta park far away from the beach with that car. It looks like something an elephant seal would want to mate with. Embarassed
mogunn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: wouldn't be caught dead in one of these... Reply with quote

sergem wrote:
It does look very practical, but just think how it would look parked by your house Smile Neighbors might object.

Not a problem if you live in Colma. Laughing

isobars

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd forgotten the URL for this website for Mike's Ultimate Windsurfing Van. Maybe it has some ideas others can use.

http://tinyurl.com/36lcxh .

\m/
madspaniard

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl wrote:
Tabou~R2 wrote:
madspaniard :
Thanks, I read these both, I arrangement that Kevin has minus the roof box is pretty much what I want. There are a lot of good thoughts on the google forum that you sent as well.
I will take a look at the Chrysler products as well as the Odyssey again.
Nice to see the marina in Kevs photos.

Thanks a lot !! Very Happy

I believe Kevin said he has the passenger seat all the way forward and not reclined plus all his boards are less than 8 feet. The top board is probably the 78L FSW that's 7'9". Maybe Kevin could comment wheather a passenger could sit comfortably with the seat in this configuration. The Odyssey has the same room with the seat forward. A 4ft x 8ft plywood sheet is designed to fit the floor of either van, Sienna too. You can recline the passenger seat all the way on my Odyssey (it reclines flat) and put longer boards in a rack over the seat. Better tie them down good or they'll fly around in a crash or even when stopping quick.

I've traveled in kevin's passenger seat very comfortable when he was carrying a bunch of boards in the PVC rack being a 2006 JP Super-X 106 liter the biggest board (7'11'). Also, in my Grand Caravan the biggest board I carry behind the passenger seat is a 2007 JP Freestyle 100 liter board (7'10"). In these cases the passenger seat is only about 1/3 forward so there is plenty of room left and it never feels uncomfortable.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coyotewindsurf wrote:
speedysailor wrote:
...However, I don't like the lack of direct visibility with vans. You have to rely more on mirrors than with an S.U.V.

I can see where you get your fear of mirrors. Wink

Rolling Eyes

It's all about the mirrors!
Here's a quote from an obscure South African windsurf website by daBeastMan which I thought rather amusing >>He seems to be a bit of an internet celebrity. How many other people can boast they are the stars of a cartoon series?

http://www.teamcoyote.net/shot_otd.html<<
drysuit2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Van Reply with quote

my ride. http://www.geocities.com/drysuit2/beachdriving.html?1126357981439

I drive it to work everyday. I drive it on the beach.
I used to drive a pickup, both with and without a trailer. I like to be able to lock my gear inside. Plus the E350 extended van is the largest legal ride allowed on the parkways. There are times I wish I had a pop up top like the Sportsmobile's do.

I had Quigley do the 4X4 conversion. I am very happy with my current set up.

campsite5.2.04.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  331.42 KB
 Viewed:  23365 Time(s)

campsite5.2.04.JPG

DSC00005.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  335.23 KB
 Viewed:  23365 Time(s)

DSC00005.JPG

Last edited by drysuit2 on Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wuz gonna ask why you need a tent to sleep in 'til I scrolled down to the third shot! Wink

Now, if that were a cargo van, you'd also have room to set up a permanent bed inside.

\m/
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysailor wrote:
coyotewindsurf wrote:
speedysailor wrote:
...However, I don't like the lack of direct visibility with vans. You have to rely more on mirrors than with an S.U.V.

I can see where you get your fear of mirrors. Wink

It's all about the mirrors!
Here's a quote from an obscure South African windsurf website by daBeastMan which I thought rather amusing >>He seems to be a bit of an internet celebrity. How many other people can boast they are the stars of a cartoon series?
http://www.teamcoyote.net/shot_otd.html<<

And that, friends, is the all-time classic example of the mental illness known as sock puppetry., as Speedysailor and coyotewindsurf are merely two hands on the same body. Makes one wonder what he's doing with his other 23 hands.

\m/
mogunn

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
I wuz gonna ask why you need a tent to sleep in 'til I scrolled down to the third shot! Wink

Looks like a poop tent to me.

Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 8 of 15

Jump to: