myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Prius Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't even want to think about getting the key/product assembly wet. While I have to admit that the Toyota scene might be different, I saw a guy a few years ago at Leo get totally turned on edge. The guy couldn't control the alarm, and more importantly, he couldn't start and run his vehicle. Believe me, a real bummer for this dude.
mikecole

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the smart-key as well and I love it. If you lock the smart-key-fob in the car using the mechanical key the car will disable smart-key entry mode so the car will remain locked. It can only be unlocked using the mechanical key.

Mike
sergem

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: smart key storage Reply with quote

ERROR!!! wrote:
I have a Prius with smart key. When I go windsurfing, what do I do with the key (because I can't get it wet)? Do I have to remove the battery, store it in the car, and take a key with me around my neck? There must be an easy way to deal with this. Can anyone help me please?

Aquapac Keymaster, you can get one in REI
http://www.amazon.com/600-Aquapac-KEYMASTER/dp/B0000DID5G/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1202174432&sr=8-1
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1975 Porsche 911 Targa gets 27MPG on the hiway with the roof out and a board and two sails buckled into the passenger seat. In Maui my Cobra only got 8 MPG set up the same way so I feel the Porsche is more practical.
girsang

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Prius Owner Reply with quote

I've been driving a Prius since April 04. It get's 40+ with the roof rack always on. I drive it regularly with my two boards on top and tons of gear inside (5 sails, 2 booms, 3 masts). I've driven it with me & my buddy and all of our gear together, no problem. I'm 6'0" and I can sit in the back seats comfortably. I like the digital dash because it's above the steering wheel. When I drive other cars, it seems stupid to have to look through the steering wheel to see the dash. What if the best height for the steering wheel is blocking your view of the dash? The cargo area in the back is curiously spacious. We moved a full sized dishwasher in it. The electronic key also has a little mechanical key in it. I took the mechanical key to hardward store and they duped it like any other key. I leave the electronic key in the car, lock up with the mechanical key, and keep the mechanical key in my wetsuit. Oh and the biggest board I can get inside of the car is a 9'6".
sailwave

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Prius schmius!!! Reply with quote

dabull1 wrote:
A Prius with roof racks? An aerodynamic disaster! May I suggest for the space-limited sailor the Naish Hybrid to properly compliment your hybrid style of transport. I fell head-over- heels in love with these sweethearts a few years ago in Maui. At a scant 7'0" in length, drop the passenger seat into recline position, and the Hybrid will slide right in with room to spare! My Hybrid 110 will handle up to an 8.0, the 89 will comfortably rocket along with up to a 6.0, and the surfy 85 tends toward 5.5 and smaller. These boards really perform, just ask MK, Theq,or jbassking! Do you think I'm stoked about these boards... I guess I am, I own FIVE of them between here and Maui!!! Aloha, Bull PS, they also fit great in the DeerHunter['06 Tundra] loaded with camping gear!
sailwave

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get 47mpg without racks all round the bay area. With racks I get 42 mpg. You can really feel the drag since the car is so light.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if racks alone cost 5 mpg, I wonder how much more board cost in mpg. Gee, could it be another 5 mpg?

\m/
tsokat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:
My 1975 Porsche 911 Targa gets 27MPG on the hiway with the roof out and a board and two sails buckled into the passenger seat. In Maui my Cobra only got 8 MPG set up the same way so I feel the Porsche is more practical.

That is the best solution to the windsurfing gear transport problem I have heard so far! Drive a Porshe.
keycocker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saved a lot of money that way since the cars were "free". The 600 HP Cobra I bought on Ebay from Georgia, killing time on calm days in Belize. Modest priced because it was green, shipped it to Maui, sold it 8 months later when I left in Nov. for US$5000 more than I paid.That covered all the shipping,etc. so the car cost me nothing to drive when the wind didn't blow in Maui.
My Porsche on the mainland will be same deal when I sell it.
I live on an island at home where there are no cars, all my gear rigged in a shack by the sea all the time. This is where the best deal on milage is found.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: