myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Squared Headed Sailors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keycocker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Squared Headed Sailors Reply with quote

-------As windsurfing matures, older gear will not automatically be non-competitive. For example, in tennis, many top players use older racquets rather than the "latest and greatest."
I don't think windsurfing is at that point yet, but Alex Aguera was doing pretty well with a $50 1999 sail here:
http://www.tmmaui.com/2007MauiFinCo61.html --------

I was a judge at this contest and stood in line with Aguera for eats. I asked about those 1999 sails and he laughed. That is a brand new custom made 2007 sail he just unrolled to kick some ass.
He designs them like that. Everybody here sure that square tops are better?
Where is the video of his wife Carla beating every single woman with a similar pointy head sail?

It helps that they are the best husband/wife team in the world.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earlier, I remember seeing videos on the Maui Sails forum featuring one of the Slalom events at Kanaha, and I marveled seeing Alex Aguera on the old Sailworks sail, up against the likes of Phil McGain and Matt Pritchard and styling in his own right. Actually, I was a bit amazed that he would be riding such a dated sail, and that it was seemingly in such great shape. Keycocker's comments above shed some light on the situation, and that explains a lot.

Of course, older designs aren't necessarily inferior, but just more reflective of different design thought. It's interesting that Bruce Peterson is willing to indulge in a flexible custom approach. Yet, needless to say, someone of Aguera's stature in the sport, is quite deserving of special attention.
lutehowland

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the clarification and the story. I actually looked at the sailworks archive to try to date the sail and it really looked like the '99!
Maybe like with the Hucker, they'll release an old-school inspired modern race sail??
Sheesh, I guess I've been channelling LeeD. Whatever happened to him? I kind of miss him on the forums... It gets kind of boring in the winter.
Jrobb

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lutehowland wrote:
Thanks a lot for the clarification and the story. I actually looked at the sailworks archive to try to date the sail and it really looked like the '99!
Maybe like with the Hucker, they'll release an old-school inspired modern race sail??
Sheesh, I guess I've been channelling LeeD. Whatever happened to him? I kind of miss him on the forums... It gets kind of boring in the winter.

...he's been offline for a while (past few seasons) but I've seen him around and sailed with him here and there.

J
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: