myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
WAVE sailing in Marin
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
george

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: WAVE sailing in Marin Reply with quote

Does anyone still sail Palo Marin, RCA or Whatever the spots north of Bolinas are?? Not so much Tuba or Limantour... If I drive that far I can be at davenport...

I sailed Palo 6 or so years ago, climb down the rope etc.
I would love to sail it again this spring but wonder what the set up is.
Not in to sailing it solo as I was followed by a great white while surfing there. Big question is does it blow side to side off??

I assume it is good on a medium tide nw or south similar to scotts creek. Any of you guys interested in company?? If i recall 5 guys is a crowd there.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

let me know if you wanna go there or tuba or wherever... i've always wanted to try palomarin... i've only surfed there once. anybody know what the climb down is like now w/ all the recent rain?
markpaine

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same here. count me in.

evidently the rope has reached 'mythical' (i.e., 'non-existent') status (according to someone who wrote about it 3 years ago)...

http://www.bahiker.com/northbayhikes/palomarin.html

-mark
madspaniard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to sail there too. I've hicked to the falls and camped in Wildcat Campsite before. the place is awesome.
Paultergeist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: WAVE sailing in Marin Reply with quote

george wrote:

Not in to sailing it solo as I was followed by a great white while surfing there.

Not to ask too too stupid a question, but are great whites (and I assume we are talking about the shark) in the habit of "following" windsurfers?

I used to live in Marin, and I surfed at Stinson Beach. Lying down on a surfboard, the incidence angle is so shallow that one really can't see into the depth of the water very well. I guess that might have been a good thing, as the sharks were probably closer and more prevalent that we surfers ever imagined. I would guess on a windsurfer -- standing up -- one can peer into the depths better; I never considered what I might be able to see following me......
george

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The amount of response is encouraging. Next time I anticipate heading up there I will post before I take off. When i sailed it last time several years ago there were 4 or 5 guys there " Local". If I recall it was a bit onshore but broke just like scotts creek in SC. I am in Mill Valley so the drive is 45-50 min versus my usuall treck to Ob 20min, waddell 80min or davenport 100min. It would be a great spring time spot. But just like a tree falling in the forest..... if no one sees you rip did you really rip?
2bluehawaiins

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Palo marin wave sailing Reply with quote

Very Happy Palo is still doable, there wassurfing this weekend, nice swell! The climb down isn't bad , where the rope used to be you go up the hill and around the side of the hill. The gravel is a little loose in a couple of places and the trail is still there half way down. I've only surfed palo! I always thought it would be to much gear to wave sail. The kelp might be an issue, it was perty thick last time I surfed it. Kelp balls Good luck and hope to see someone wavesail it again!
windwiner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I now make it a crowd, but I would love to join in on a session up there. I'd really like to join in on a session at OB or any other wave sailing spot that a small group is headed to for that matter.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I surfed RCAs in the late 69s and very early 70s while visiting a friend living in Marin, but I can't even remember the path down the cliff to the beach. Nice venue though, and I had a great session. Still though, I know that the local scene was strong at the time. NorCal surfers can be some pretty steely characters.

The one place that really caught my attention was Point Reyes under the point, especially in the area southward in front of the creek outlet. Again, this was in the very early 70s surfing, but the setup is so similar in ways to San Carlos or Punta Baja. Sets up sideoff with a southern exposure to swell.

I often wonder if things can be trick for down the line windsurfing.
tsokat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George, I disagree that Tuba and Limantour are as far away from Mill Valley as Davenport. I count my sessions at Limantour/Tuba as some of the most memorable in my life. It is an incredibly beautiful ocean wilderness up there in Pt Reyes National Seashore. Anytime you or anyone else is headed up there, please post. There have been many times that I have not gone due to not having anyone available to sail with. Due to somewhat offshore winds and often no one else out sailing, it is not the kind of place in which to sail alone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: