myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Florida Wave Challenge at North Beach Ft.DeSoto, Tampa BayFL
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bviehman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Florida Wave Challenge at North Beach Ft.DeSoto, Tampa BayFL Reply with quote

Wavesailors, sponsors and spectators,

Britt Viehman of North Beach Windsurfing in St. Petersburg is hosting the West Coast Florida Wave Challenge this February! His announcement email follows. I will make periodic updates to the website (http://www.floridawavechallenge.com/), but email related to this particular event will come from Britt. Please contact him to be included on his email list.

Feb. 2-3, 8-9, 16-17 are possible dates for the Florida Wave Challenge at North Beach, Ft DeSoto County Park in St Petersburg. Northwest to NNE winds are best for that spot and as we know that brings good side-on to side-shore conditions. Waves are small, by East Coast standards, but steep allowing for nice, lofty jumps. Sorry for the late notice, permitting issues happen.

Of course we will be notifying by email, everyone is familiar with the concept a couple days before hand. In order to keep Bruce’s word that your email’s would not be handed to someone else, please email me, britt@nbwindsurfing.com if you wish to be notified of the event. I will make that same promise as well. Your email will be used for the exclusive purpose of the event or subsequent wave challenges that are held here.

Directions are I-4 to I-275S to exit 17. Take the right hand lane towards the beach. Pass through the 50 cent toll. At the second light SR669 make a left. Continue to Ft DeSoto all the way to the flag pole, make a right, continue to North Beach parking lot. We will be at the NW corner of the parking lot. Grassy rigging. Walk to the beach.

Registration will happen at the event.

Britt Viehman and Bruce Thomas
hodg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Date set yet? Reply with quote

Date set yet?
geohaye

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got this email from Britt:

Thu, 31 Jan 2008

Hi Wavesailors, Sponsors and Spectators,

The weather forecast is not looking good for the contest this weekend. However for waterskiing… It looks like the front has passed north of us. The ideal conditions that we are looking for is NW to N wind. When the cold front comes down that produces a typical 20-25. Big smiles with the fronts come. That wind direction produces the best waves and good wind. With two more weekends I am hopeful that we will see each other on the water soon.

Thanks,
Britt

North Beach Windsurfing
www.nbwindsurfing.com

www.floridawavechallenge.com
izitwindy?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So no competition this weekend? Bummer, I am coming out from Calif this weekend and was hoping to check out the area for Windsurfing spots...I have heard St Petersberg can be good. When are the winds the best there? Are there any high wind locations like Sherman Island or the Gorge in or around the Orlando area or anywhere else along the Florida coast for that matter?

Also looking for Windsurfing Shops for rentals so if you have any suggestions? I'd appreciate it... Cool
bviehman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Tampa Bay area, North Beach Windsurfing www.nbwindsurfing.com

Or on the East Coast www.calema.com. Calema is flatwater with some Bump and jump depending on the direction and windspeed.

Both have windsurfing rentals.

Britt
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.progressivesports.com rentals available there too. S. Daytona an Inlet is close by flat water or waves depends on the wx. Waves can get mighty big with the right storm. Gotta qualify yourself a bit if you state you'll go out in the waves. Better to just stay low key about all that until you happen to sail past the boss on a large surf... Capice?

Rare, but it happens when a storm can get the wind and waves well beyond what a flat water type may be able to tackle. On days like that, say "I'll be sailing in Titusville." That's a flat water venue about 45 minutes to the south.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty far out forecast wise, but conditions will be NW on Sunday over here on the East Coast. How reliable is the wxman over there vs here, any different? If the wind starts at midnight, what kind of size could we possibly get, Britt? Don't worry, I won't hold you to it. I've had plenty of expectations dashed over the past 2 decades... Just trying to gauge the cost of the trip vs the fun factors.
bviehman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

Yes the forecast is showing some possiblities for sure. So we all are paying attention to it and we will see if it holds. I am hoping for sure.

If the wind starts at midnight on Sat., the waves should be nice. Like a stated earlier, the waves are smaller here than on the East Coast but set up really nice for jumping. There typically flat water inbetween for picking up speed and the potential is there for nice lofty jumps and back loops.

If it goes it is a ton of fun, come play.
bviehman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,

Yes the forecast is showing some possiblities for sure. So we all are paying attention to it and we will see if it holds. I am hoping for sure.

If the wind starts at midnight on Sat., the waves should be nice. Like a stated earlier, the waves are smaller here than on the East Coast but set up really nice for jumping. There typically flat water inbetween for picking up speed and the potential is there for nice lofty jumps and back loops.

If it goes it is a ton of fun, come play.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck in getting stellar waves. My point of view, I score better with waves rather than jumps, so I need to get in more than 1 or 2 turns to do well. Mogles are for the jumping crowd. Hope we get some sort of freaky long swells that allow 5 or 6 turns top and bottom...

BTW, time is of the essence for testing too, so the probabilities may be low for the test team showing as well, FYI. Good luck. :~)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: