myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
WHO SAILED WHERE?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laci

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: WHO SAILED WHERE? Reply with quote

I was just wondering who got Leo or County this afternoon. I stopped at Topanga and sailed there between 4 and 5. I was fully wound on a 4.8 with an 85l board. From the chart it looks like Leo was out of control. Although the chart for Topanga at the same time doesn't really do the conditions justice. On the outside it felt more like 25+.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

County line was out of control windy. It was 25 gusts to 35 when I was sailing, and after i left it cranked up to 42mph gusts. Most kiters took cover!
FredBGG

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out at Port Hueneme.
Wind was 30 plus on the beach.
Surf and whitwater was crazy...glad I was on a kite!
Just after my session I measured average wind at 40=mph with gusts just over 50mph out on the pier.

Great day, but could have used a smaller kite or expendable windsurfing gear Shocked
NORMPE

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to Leo around 1 for the biggest lull of the day and thought I had missed it already so I rigged a 7.0! Had some great runs and did some gardening before the situation changed quick. My last outside jibe on the 7.0 was pure comedy. I still wasn't sure the wind was coming back for real so I went for a 5.3. Pretty much out of control on that too so... 4.5 is the smallest i had. Still couldn't hold it down though. Stayed out as long as i could take it (4:30). You didn't have to go fast to jump, just get the sail horizontal at the top of a swell and fly away! It was great to witness the fury out there, it calms me down.
MikeUzi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

County Line was beautiful, but I was on a 5.5 and way overpowered.
nealpar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't so much the strength of the wind as the shape of the wind-chop that made it strange yesterday. There were deep valleys between the wind-swells, so if you went too small in sail size, you risked getting too depowered in the valleys and then swallowed. I rigged a 5.0 zone and downhauled the hell out of it, and while I was able to handle it in flat parts, it got too difficult in the choppy sections. Guess I'm just not in shape enough to handle being airborne every two seconds.
cbknap

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:57 pm    Post subject: Seal Reply with quote

Solid 25 at Seal at 4 p.m. All the kiters rolled their shit up and fled. I was alone on the water (or actually way up above the water).
jp5

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saturday was a nice day, not much wind but a little bit of surf. iWindsurf forecasted a 15kt average but it never got up to that for long. There was one guy schlogging with a 7.0 and I was surfing. Since it was a minus tide the kelp near the rock was thick enough to walk on. I used my 8'10 trifin with no leash but it still got hung up so I had to stay closer to the second rock. I hope that shit dies by summer. There were also a few scuba divers out but I can't imagine the visibility being all that great.

Sunday at county looked mean.
allen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to Sunset Point (south of Topanga, near Gladstones) about 2PM. Wind picked up around 2:30 to about the 5.5 range. Tide was low so waves were on the small side w/lots of white water. 3 Kiters out on small kites; no other windsurfers out before 3:30.........
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went out at Huntington Pier. Wind was moderate, then strong. I was overpowered on a 5.8. Waves looked pretty small, but there were some hefty sets for sure. Probably one of my most fun sessions in a while. It was just me and my kiter friend for like 3 hours, and then a couple other kiters came out. I guess most people were watching the Super Bowl.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: