myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How is the ice at Lake Quannapowitt?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SkateSailor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: How is the ice at Lake Quannapowitt? Reply with quote

Does anyone have their eyes on Lake Quannapowitt today?

Does it look like the melting today will freeze overnight to make good ice for Thursday? At the moment the forecast calls for overnight lows around 20.
lexflyer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I walked on the ice this evening. It looks nice, probably lost a little with the rain, but there was plenty to start with. It should refreeze nicely overnight. The conditions have probably been good most of the week, since the snow was clearing off fast with all the winds on Sunday and Monday.
SkateSailor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ice was good today. Winds were light. At least the sailing was easy if not fast. The fire department cut a hole on the north side for ice rescue school. It is well marked with orange cones and the remains of an ice sculpture made from the cut pieces. The south and west portions of the lake continue to be pebbly though improved.
OliverTwist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like good wind and mild weather for Saturday. If the ice is still solid I'll go to Lake Q but I'm considering Fogland also.
ikopeikin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm considering Fogland. so far .. looks good and the temp ~40F
OliverTwist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fogland may be the place to be tomorrow but now I'm tied up in the morning and won't have time to get there. It either ice sailing at Lake Q or windsurfing at P-Bay.

Skatesailor, how has this weather affected the ice? Will it be safe? Even if it's safe will it be covered with puddles?
SkateSailor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Oliver, I am twenty miles away from the lake. I won't be there today - the winds are too strong for me. Lows in the twenties tonight should restore the surface I hope for Sunday morning. Winds may be light on Sunday. If I bring out my big sail I can do quite well in light winds even as the boats and boards are becalmed.
lexflyer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: ice report Reply with quote

The ice today (Saturday) is still strong, seems close to a foot thick to me by casual inspection through a pressure crack on the SE side. But it's full of puddles with up to an inch of water, so probably not really suitable for anything with blades. Something like a snowfer would do fine, but it would really wet. Should refreeze overnight.
lexflyer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ice was soft today, the thaw is taking it's toll, looks to extend through the week.
OliverTwist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. We should have some really good ice when it freezes again. It's early Feb so it's bound to get cold soon. If it's warm all week I'll look to sail in the water next weekend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: