myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Los Angeles: where's the #$%$@#$ wind!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nealpar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

I was being facetious, i.e. joking!
nealpar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bet Traig is out there right now, maneuvering his kite between the rain clouds! Are we whimps for not braving the elements?
jp5

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was being flatulent Smile

There is a kiter at County at this moment.

Do kiters not have jobs??
BajaVaya

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Die water in Kaapstad is warmer as SF. Ek gebruik altyd n "shortie" waneer ek huis toe gaan

What our friend from Cape Town said was: The water in Cape Town is warmer that SF. I always use a "shortie" when I go home
After 40+ years away from S.Africa I can somewhat still understand the "taal" (Afrikaans), but I must confess "entiendo Espanol mas mejor" (I understand Spanish far better).
Thanks Capetonian. Actually I grew up in Joburg, the armpit of southern Africa, and graduated from Wits. If anybody hasn't been to Cape Town, it is one of the most spectacular cities anywhere -- built on the side of 3500' Table Mountain with sweeping vistas at every turn in the road. Johannesburg on the other hand is a surreal landscape of goldmine dumps. I worked on 3 goldmines -- the deepest holes in the world; on Rand Leases I worked at a depth of almost 10,000 ft (2 miles straight down), as a Mech Engineer. So close to the earth's core, the rock is actually warm and the passages have to be cooled by a huge network of refrigeration pipes.

I visited my family a year ago and took the time to check out several of the beaches to reacquaint myself. They are as beautiful as ever, with long stretches of pristine sand and occasional rock headlands. From a wind sport viewpoint, the conditions made me salivate -- warm water, steady wind, and almost nobody. Problem is renting equipment -- there was one surfshop in the whole of East London, and it mainly sold Billabong etc apparel to surfers who were more interested in impressing their pals than riding waves (pity). Kiting seems to have replaced windsurfing.

Although I have spent time on the east coast of Australia, the closest to the endless pristine beaches and waves of S.Africa I have found to be Baja. Flying over the deserted beaches from El Rosario to Ensenada, you would think you were in Zululand or around Port Elizabeth (closest town to Jefferies Bay and Cape St. Francis). I am told that western Australia, around Perth, is much like that. So now I spend as much time as I can in Baja (it is cheaper than flying halfway around the planet). Where else can you pay $80/mo for beach property with a million $ surf view, a private landing strip, and stash 10 boards + sails in your garage? Plus be 5 hours drive from the shops of the USA.
nealpar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="BajaVaya"]
Quote:
So now I spend as much time as I can in Baja (it is cheaper than flying halfway around the planet). Where else can you pay $80/mo for beach property with a million $ surf view, a private landing strip, and stash 10 boards + sails in your garage? Plus be 5 hours drive from the shops of the USA.

Speaking of stash.....

I know of someone (name withheld to protect MYSELF from lawsuit) who, in the 70's flew back and forth between LA and Baja all the time. He was (allegedly) smuggling drugs of course, and made enough $ doing it that he opened a SUSHI restaurant on the westside, which ended up becoming very popular with the celebs in the 80's and 90's. The restaurant is still there, although it stopped being 'exclusive' a long time ago.

By the way, thanks for sharing about SudAfrika. I always wanted to check it out. In the 70's when my family fled communism and we were still in Vienna, Austria waiting for our "entry-permits" to the USA, my father also submitted a refugee application to immigrate to Johannesburg, South Africa. It so happened that the U.S. approved us before the South Africans did, so we came here. I sometimes wonder how my life would've been different if we ended up there. I have a feeling Southern California was a way better choice!!! Smile
flynbri

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Wind Whores Unite! Reply with quote

Dudes!

It's howling from the right direction this morning @ 10am at Sunset Beach it's blowing 18-26, average 20! So let's where your loyalty is, football or the wind!

I'm outta here rain or not see you on the water. Surprised
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Wind Whores Unite! Reply with quote

flynbri wrote:
Dudes!

It's howling from the right direction this morning @ 10am at Sunset Beach it's blowing 18-26, average 20! So let's where your loyalty is, football or the wind!

I'm outta here rain or not see you on the water. Surprised

Hey! I think I met you last weekend at Sunset. (I was on the green KA gear). That was a pretty fun session. I sailed Huntington Pier today. It started out at 20, then died to 14, then came back to 18, and then 22ish! Fun day! Waves looked small, but were surprisingly big (head high) once you get next to them. My buddy got kitecam video and pictures from today which i'll post later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: