myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Monofilm Panel Replacement. Any tips for doing this at home?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmcgree

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: monofilm repair Reply with quote

to repair the above i have been using a 15" adhesive backed clear film to repair huge tears & to reinforce panels on older sails. i purchase this from a auto graphics dealer. if anone is interested in how to apply, i can post details on this forum.
mistral10

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I'd be interested in learning more about how to use the adhesive back product. It would be great if you could give some details on how its done. I know it's difficult doing it on cars, as least to do it right anyway. Thanks.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some shops sell rolls of clear tape, but many of us use simple packing tape. It works. I have also used K-film sheets which you can obtain from Windance.com. They work well. It's rather simple, actually. Just line the tear edges up and tape them. 3M or Scotch make a new clear duct tape which I have used, too. Sometimes I'll put this tape on the tear first, stitch across the tear, then apply the clear tape. This isn't necessary except in high impact areas, though, if it is necessary at all.
rmcgree

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: mono repair Reply with quote

i have been using this process for 2 1/2 years & can say the time taken is well worth it. the point of my post is not to argue the benefits. this film comes with a detachable paper back that rolls off when you squeegee the flim onto the monofilm portion of the sail. you can apply either wet or dry. cut the new portion 1" to 2" then needed apply with a squeegee as you would wallpaper. you can trim the excess right on the sail,with small auto trim knife, using a steel ruler atttaching the film to the ruler & lifting up so cut along the edge ruler. the point of this post is to inform, NOT TO ARGUE!!!
mistral10

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rmcgree. Thanks for the helpful advice. I'm glad you saw my post asking you for more info on the technique.
rmcgree

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have some additional installation pts before you start. #1 apply film from top batten to lower batten on the panel. it helps to use a blk erase pen to draw a line on the film so as to align film with the panel angle. remove 2" of paper back & run blk line along the upper batten fabric edge. squeegee on 1" from left to right 1" path till you reach the lower batten. take your time as you apply. some bubbles may appear,large ones may be pierced with a pin & squeegeed away. if you use the wet application cloudy patchs will appear, these along with small bubbles disappear a week or so. sooner if you expose the repair to lights. this flim breathes, after a few weeks the flim disappears into the sail panel. the only visable marks will be those on the old panel. #2 monofilm becomes fatigued with rigging & derigging, this reinforcement process prevents cracks & tears. i now apply this film to all my new sails. i focus on those panels that could show rigging stress. panel at the boom & 2 above. if you need more info i can get in touch.

Last edited by rmcgree on Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
mistral10

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of reinforcing new sail panels sounds like a great idea too. Keep me in touch. Thanks.
rmcgree

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, ran out space & time on my last post. you must clean the monofim before application, older sails use 409 on both sides, even though you are applying one side. then clean the the side that is to be reinforced , with alcohol. new sails only clean with alcohol. hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: