myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Cabrillo Beach
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankly, it's a no brainer to side with Mitch and Coachg here. It's all about attitude. Lots of spots have notable stoke, even in LA. Just kidding!

Overall, the last thing we want to do is limit our potential, especially this time of year. Karma is everything. KP just advised us on his blog to think positive, and I think that's something we all need to aspire to on occasion.

I need to relax and think positive in traffic. A really tough task for me. Traffic is why I bailed from LA in 1973. Otherwise, it was going to kill me. Being truly frank, SF traffic is just as crazy.
theq

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move along folks, there's nothing to see here.
spyder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i lived and sailed in both LA and SF. was in LA from '85-'95, and SF from '95-2000. would've stayed longer in SF, until i got shot at...then moved to hawaii to escape. Shocked

in LA, cabrillo was fun, but small and crowded. the gang problem during the time i was there, was a bit scary (early 90's). that goes for where i lived (redondo beach) and san pedro. has it changed ? i would assume it's worse.

i still miss sailing at lake isabella, long drive but worth it. i also miss the diving !

freeway traffic was pretty bad, but not intolerable. dont know what it is like today.

in SF, i sailed mostly the bay. large and uncrowded. the bay was nice, but a bit polluted, and the season was pretty short. generally more wind than socal. dealing with the tides was a pain, but you got used to it. certainly more muddy, and cold at times. gang issues in san jose, but not near any sailing spot.

i miss being way out in the bay with the pelicans flying low to the choppy water. i also miss the great bike rides !

freeway traffic was congested but usually not too awful.

i'd say i have fond memories of both places, not sure i'd move back to either spot unless there was a compelling reason.
nealpar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cabrillo is akin to bay-sailing, hence the numerous comparisons to SF's bay sailing spots.

Does anybody who writes on this post from the SF area ever sail the Coast by SF? We only seem to hear from the bay sailors....Sherman Island...places like that...

Some of us would be genuinely interested in hearing about the locales on the coast up there....Santa Cruz? Waddell? When is the best time to sail there, what to expect, etc... Yes, it's a different topic, but it seems that it's been taken in that direction anyway.

I think we all can agree that when comparing sailing spots, we should compare apples with apples. Thus, coast sailing with breaking waves in the logo/mast high size is simply a totally different type of sailing experience than bay sailing. Thus, sailing County Line on a winter clearing wind day, or Leo during a big south swell cannot be compared to....bay sailing....or you can compare it, like you would a kiwi to a banana.
madspaniard

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nealpar wrote:

I think we all can agree that when comparing sailing spots, we should compare apples with apples. Thus, coast sailing with breaking waves in the logo/mast high size is simply a totally different type of sailing experience than bay sailing. Thus, sailing County Line on a winter clearing wind day, or Leo during a big south swell cannot be compared to....bay sailing....or you can compare it, like you would a kiwi to a banana.

Don't take this wrong but, out of curiosity, how many days per year you guys have breaking waves in the logo/mast high size at County Line or Leo? Do you mostly sail those conditions or it's usually flat ocean sailing with small waves and thus, comparable to bay sailing in big swell like 3rd Ave, or TI, or even Sherman Island (Gorge-like swell sometimes)?

Ocean sailing around here, you can go to Davenport, north of Santa Cruz, Waddell to Half Moon Bay, Ocen Beach, Stinson Beach... here is a diary that includes ocean wave sailing in the SF Bay Area:
http://www.pappasrock.com/DIARY.html

also, check out these web sites from the SF Bay Area

http://www.teamdawg.org/
http://www.pappasrock.com/
http://www.teamcoyote.net/

Very Happy
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....or, let the pictures speak for themselves

http://www.soe.ucsc.edu/~pang/ws/locals/2007/
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinkan,

How right you are. Very nice!

Down here we have Jalama, but I think that it lacks the consistency of the coast between Santa Cruz and the SF Bay area, especially during the prime windsurfing months.

On the other hand, SoCal is primo for surfing, offering some of the best stuff out there, especially with the lighter winds found here. Nevertheless, I'm quite envious.

Very well done.
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this video of windsurfing Malibu on the internet. Would that be considered a good day in Malibu like someone stated at the beginning of the video? Cuz to me it looks pretty mild. The waves look about 2 feet and super forgiving. It looks fun, but definately not extreme in my opinion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajpVZXUotpg

Nealpar Said:
Quote:
Thus, coast sailing with breaking waves in the logo/mast high size is simply a totally different type of sailing experience than bay sailing. Thus, sailing County Line on a winter clearing wind day, or Leo during a big south swell cannot be compared to....bay sailing....

Do you have any pics of County Line or Leo on a logo/mast high day. I'd love to see them! email them to me akoutzoukis(at)gmail.com or post them here! If it really is that good then maybe it is worth driving up there instead some of the side-onshore wavespots we have in Orange County.
nealpar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coolmountainbiker, that day at Malibu was a very mild day. Ask any long timer and they'll tell you that a boom high day at Leo is mild. That's not to say we don't appreciate days like that. Believe me, when the crowd is hungry for some fun sailing, we'll even fight over waves that size. Crying or Very sad

Leo isn't difficult even on an "epic Leo" day. What makes it difficult is if the wind is light on the inside, and you have to pump really hard to drop into the wave or if you get stuck on the inside. Many of us have broken gear at Leo due to being caught inside a set.

I believe that we could probably gather together a nice collage for everybody interested in Leo/County Line sailing. I don't think the "epic" days there have been as well documented as in other spots. I don't know why.

In the next post I'll attach a picture of County from a couple of months ago. In the background was a hollow looking approx.-mast-high wave. The wind was very light that day, which actually makes it much scarier, at least for me. I believe others have also posted pictures already of County on challenging days. Believe me, you won't be disappointed if you come here at the right time.

Madspaniard, the logo/mast/mast+ conditions don't come around very often, maybe 10-15 days a year???, however we do have the boom high (you tube video type) quite often in the summer and fall.
nealpar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the upper left corner of the picture.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: