myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Los Angeles area forecasting tips please?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
felixbird

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Los Angeles area forecasting tips please? Reply with quote

Hi All,

I've been windsurfing around the LA area since last summer and I used iWindsurf.com to guage which beach to go to (either Cabrillo or Carillo in general). However, as there are no area forecasts out of season I am lost!

Does anyone have any good tips on how to forecast the Los Angeles area?

I have found it to be very windy, esp v. early in the mornings recently.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Felix
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Felix,

With these Santa Ana winds we're anticipating to see tonight. and maybe through morning tomorrow, they're best focused through Port Hueneme for windsurfing. However, it's a very offshore oriented locale from a wind perspective. That includes a port tack launch, maybe through surf from the west to northwest. Fortunately, it's fairly easy to research that on the iWindsurf bouy readings close to the area.

You might want to look through recent posts here regarding this spot, as it might be considered a more complicated venue from an air pollution standpoint. Yet, the panel area is relatively small in area, and upwind towards the power plant is unquestionably cleaner in nature. Still, if fires are happening from up higher in the Santa Clarita Valley, or if winds are strong enough to pick up dirt along the Oxnard flood plain, the airborne particulates can elevate to a degree making things more complex. Farm activities aren't always simple in nature.

Also, look for Leo Carrillo windspeeds to be very high out of the northeast. Don't let those higher readings attract you to Leo, as the orientation and gusty nature is not good for there.

Winds can back off completely by noon, but not always, so be cautious. If winds do ultimately switch to a more westerly direction, look to C Street as a possible venue. At C Street, it should be noted that the windspeeds under these situations are on the lighter side, varying around the 12-17 knot average, depending on fate and circumstance.

Good luck in your decisions.
sharkasm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Last edited by sharkasm on Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
FredBGG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that this helps:

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/data/Forecasts/FZUS56.KLOX.html

Forcasting the wind in the LA area at the beaches is not easy.

The winds are a mix of prevailing winds that tend to blow down over the offshore waters that get pulled in by a thermal effect.

There are no stable thermal setups here or we would have a "wind nearly everyday" spot.

Your best bet in this part of the world is to add kitesurfing to your toys for the lower wind days......... however like me you might end up dropping windsurfing all together....

Don't rule out E and NE winds. They don't work well at Leo and Cabrillo, but there are beaches that are great when the Santa Annas are howling.
I've seen windsurfers going nuts at Port Hueneme on off shore days.
You do have to be carefull though.

Also you should look into going to Lake Isabella. Fantastic windsurfing conditions up there and you can camp right on the beach.

This summer I was there and got 15 days straight of high winds and rode everyday on a 7m kite sharing the water with a nice crowd of windsurfers.

Cheers

Fred
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: