myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
State budget cuts and Candlestick Point
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jp5

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chandler...you must have been one of those dudes that burned that bank in isla vista back in the 60's.

as for really screwing things up, lets talk about how badly gray davis ran this state into the toilet while he was in office. funny how you dems never want to critisize your own.
theq

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassking:
If the Dems weren't critical of their own, at least as manifested at the voting booth, it 's doubtful that the Davis recall would've succeeded. Considering the political makeup of California, it's virtually impossible that a pure G.O.P. supported recall would have worked. You know what I'm sayin' Vern?
kogoul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is happening because of Prop13.

Candlestick is a dump anyway...
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mac,

It's interesting to learn that you're President of US Windsurfing, as I was not aware of that. Moreover, I have been very impressed with your keen thoughts on the political rant threads.

But getting to the current issue at hand here, I should point out that I'm presently paying a $125 yearly fee to use state parks, and I have been regularly paying some level of yearly fee for many years now. Also, I have been buying parking passes for the Santa Barbara Waterfront and Santa Barbara County Parks (Jalama) too. So when you raise the question whether windsurfers are willing to pay some additional undefined fee on top of current fees, I'm not too inclined to support it.

Please don't get the wrong idea here, because I'm more than willing to support a reasonable increase in my state taxes to help the state manage and mitigate the current financial crisis. This is not to say that I don't believe that some concert of funding cuts should also be implemented. For instance, it's truly amazing the amount of heavy construction that is going on at UCSB right now, and I honestly think some of that work could be temporarily postponed. I'm not against education, but erecting a bunch of fancy buildings on the scale going on now is a bit off the top considering our financial predicament. I'd rather see that kind of money being focused on more practical infrastructure issues that already exist like our state water system, highways, parks, etc.

Getting back to the state park closures, I was wondering whether you have had any contact and discussion with the Surfrider Foundation concerning their goals and strategies. The proposed beach closures will have a huge impact to many very popular surf sites in the state. I can't even imagine the intense anxiety and anger that must be brewing on their scene.

Overall, I appreciate your concern and the questions you have raised here, and I believe that a proactive and focused approach by US Windsurfing can be very meaningful. Would I be interested in supporting your goals by paying a yearly membership fee to US Windsurfing? Yes. That's a fee I can understand and support.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: State budget cuts and Candlestick Point Reply with quote

polarbear wrote:
our dear Governator announced a 10% state budget cut yesterday, creating among other things the closure of 48 state parks.

Now, now ... was it Arnold, or was it the state parks director, who closed the parks? After all, when their budget is reduced, most bureaucrats respond in the way most likely to stir up the public, rather than in the way that might quietly reduce costs.

\m/
nealpar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, the uproar has been achieved. People are paying attention. Schwarzi achieved his aim. Now, it's time to talk numbers. Of course historic state parks and beaches won't be closed. How embarrassing would that be for California, if tourists went away from here saying, "hey halb die statte ist geschlossen. Wie schade fur die leute. Ha Ha Ha"

Nein. Das will not happen.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great... now i have to scroll sideways to read every post Sad
nealpar

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny, but I always manage to piss German people off with my German language skills. I do regret not taking Spanish in college! At least I could practice that every single day here.

Hey angryman, they are calling for wind on Thursday. Don't ask me what that's about (clearing wind?), but the forecast said 15-20 NW. Or perhaps it's time to go snowboarding.
coolmtnbiker048

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the map calls for lifeguard reductions at Bolsa Chica State Beach as well as Huntington State Beach (South of the Pier)! Does this mean they are going to be more lax about us windsurfing these spots? Also i see that San Onofre will have lifeguard reductions, so does this mean that we might be allowed to kayak-surf where the GOOD waves are instead of being crammed south near the powerplant?
gregorvass

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windontuesdaysoundsgretihopetheswellwillremainwithusthanksfortheheadsup.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: