myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
State budget cuts and Candlestick Point
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
polarbear

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:04 pm    Post subject: State budget cuts and Candlestick Point Reply with quote

For those of you following the news, our dear Governator announced a 10% state budget cut yesterday, creating among other things the closure of 48 state parks. Candlestick is on that list, and for those of us saling that spot it will mean no more bathrooms, no more showers, no more parking in the parking lot, trash all over the place, broken bottles, and whatever else can be thrown away by the populace using this spot on a regular base...
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geez... it was hard to see that they spent any money at da stick... well, that shower did have awesome water pressure!! Laughing
fearnobeer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that sucks.
sharkasm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: State budget cuts and Candlestick Point Reply with quote

Sad

Last edited by sharkasm on Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just think, for the reduction in vehicle taxes that our current Republican governer offered in the recall election, the State Park Pass fee ultimately increased from $37 under Grey Davis to the current $125.

Now, believe it or not, a ton of State Parks will close cause our Republican leader chose to dump on a smaller segment of users that might happen to enjoy the park system that he inherited. It really doesn't matter that you pay the yearly pass fee, now it just like the communist theme in the USSR that we saw in the 60s and 70s where regular folks had little to buy and had to stand in ration lines to buy almost nothing. Only instead of ration lines, they just stick up a gate and hang tough on focusing rangers to concentrate on the poor useless folks trying to visit the old beach or location that they love.

Beware of the sad Republican hype. Look at what Bush suggests, in pushing that we should back off rich folks, and not tax their huge largess. It's only about money really, but that trumps all. Regular citizens eat dirt while the millionaires and those higher up the ladder buy property and exclude folks a reasonable access to the beach or some other interesting venues.

Don't be fooled by the nonsense. Contact your representative and senator and let them know that the governor has lost a reasonable focus. When it come to Republicans, their selfish and shortside thoughts must rule. Don't give them any strength.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so.... does that mean we will be able to camp out at da stick? LOL kind of a scary thought, but if we had enough people, it could be like the old wild west.
nealpar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES, L.A. AREA BEACHES WOULD'VE ALSO BEEN INCLUDED, HOWEVER, NO NEED TO PANIC.

IN THE CIRCLES THAT ARE IN THE KNOW, THE DRASTIC PROPOSAL WAS A MERE "SCARE TACTIC", OR "WORST CASE SCENARIO PRESENTATION", WHICH IS HOW A "NEGOTIATION" BEGINS.

THE OBVIOUS AIM IS TO CRAM DOWN OUR THROATS SOME KIND OF TAX INCREASE STATE WIDE. i WOULD NOT OPPOSE SUCH A HIKE.

CALIFORNIA WILL INCREASINGLY BE A MORE EXPENSIVE PLACE TO RESIDE IN. IN A WAY, THAT'S NOT BAD, AS IT WILL CAUSE MORE PEOPLE TO PACK UP AND MOVE THEIR SHIT TO OTHER STATES. (WHICH IS ALREADY HAPPENING IN INCREASING NUMBERS).

UNFORTUNATELY, THERE IS STILL MORE COMING THAN GOING, AND THE ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION DOESN'T HELP. I WAS RECENTLY IN ORANGE COUNTY FOR BUSINESS, AND ON MY WAY BACK HOME TO L.A. ON THE 5 FWY, I HAD TO GET OFF THE FWY SOMEWHERE IN SANTA ANA TO GET GAS, AND LO AND BEHOLD, EVERRRYYBODY WAS HISPANIC. I MEAN EVERRRRRYYYYYBBOOOODDYY. I FELT LIKE I WAS IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY. JUST SAYIN'................
mac

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess what, infrastructure costs money, whether it is parks, schools, roads, cops, fire fighting, or the regulation that the neo-cons so hate. I guess the question for all you dis-organized windsurfers, is would you be willing to pay a fee (that escapes the dread term tax) to have better access to sailing and surfing spots? Or would you fight such a fee, or would you support a fee if it gave you some role in defining what facilities are available on the beaches and launch sites? I'd love your opinions. We can respond as US Windsurfing and as the individual sailing organizations and have some clout. But what think you all?

Mac/Jim McGrath, President, US Windsurfing
nealpar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fee increases are inevitable. Any effort to "fight" against them would be futile.

I'm not opposed to Schwarzenegger trying to "cut the fat" or increase taxes to balance the budget. The problem is, will the money be allocated in such a way that we, as frequent state park/state beach users will see any benefit? Or are we going to pay more just to see a preservation of the status quo?

By the way, surf's up at west facing beaches. Now if it would only blow 10 more knots.....
sharkasm

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

Last edited by sharkasm on Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: