myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
County Line sailing on day after Xmas '07
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laci

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to see what I'm missing. I'm sitting in my place at the Gorge with a foot of snow outside. Although two days ago there was an onsite report
of three people out at the Wall on 3.2 and 3.7 sails. Water in the mid 30's and the air about the same. I think skiing on Mt. Hood is the better call for me. Happy Holidays to all.
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got off work early but had to check out a skilled nursing facility for my dad. Looks like a good day for nose-riding...sorry I missed it.
bil7y

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Crissy Field went off for 2 days Reply with quote

Kevin you didn't need to drive. Although the waves looked fun. OB was cranking both days. I sailed alone on Formula Gear on Xmas day. Perfect day lit up sailing for 2 hours. Yesterday was solid bump and jump for 2 hours. A 6knot ebb made for some big chop until the wind faded into the afternoon. About 5 of the hardcore sf guys got out and sailed until their frozen hands forced them to come in. Pacific storm coming in as I write this see you all at HMB this weekend! HAPPY NEW YEAR

David
eliot10

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after reading all the posts from Leo's sailors, I finally got to sail with some of them at County Line. I must say that you all are a pretty tight group on and off the water. I really don't see many sailors anywhere else communicating so well through posts, I take my hat off to that.
I had a blast up there yesterday, a bit overpowered on a 5.7 MauiSail. It was pretty fast down the line with smooth water closer to the beach. I tried some bottom turns but I couldn't get my sail to fill in so I just flipped the sail and go back out. It reminded me so much of Sunset Beach or Bolsa Chica where there are channels to get out, but on clearing conditions it gets awful big and the sets come in very close with very choppy water even on the waves. Sunset Beach also has a sand bar way outside and the rolling swell gets very steep with breaking water at the top. So, if you guys ever find yourselves at Sunset Beach on a clearing day, stop by the Jack in the Box at corner of PCH and Warner. I hope to come up to CL again or to Leo in the summer.
madspaniard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Crissy Field went off for 2 days Reply with quote

bil7y wrote:
Kevin you didn't need to drive. Although the waves looked fun. OB was cranking both days. I sailed alone on Formula Gear on Xmas day. Perfect day lit up sailing for 2 hours. Yesterday was solid bump and jump for 2 hours. A 6knot ebb made for some big chop until the wind faded into the afternoon. About 5 of the hardcore sf guys got out and sailed until their frozen hands forced them to come in. Pacific storm coming in as I write this see you all at HMB this weekend! HAPPY NEW YEAR

David

We got some wind yesterday at Crissy Field, about five guys out, the frozen hands were doing OK for a while but then the wind died down so everybody was happy to get back to get those hands warm again.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Returning home to SB from a family Christmas in LA, I stopped by Leo in the late afternoon. No one was sailing at the time, but I was able to meet up with Steve, who I know from C Street, and I had the pleasure of meeting Mitch. Apparently the conditions earlier were a bit up and down on the inside, but more solid and fun on the outside. Unfortunately, it was only an hour before sunset when I arrived, so any real opportunity to rig up and sail was not really in the cards for me.

After leaving Leo, I also stopped for a few minutes at County Line to check it out. One sailor was out when I got there, and another sailor (shown above with what I think is a KA sail) was just launching. The wind was more viable on the inside, but still somewhat up and down at times in the lineup. The conditions were quite a bit better than Leo, yet the setup was side on, clearly favoring the backside lefts. I'm not sure that's the standard setup at CL on clearing winds, but it was very similar to C Street under those conditions. Really nice ramps going out for jumps, especially out by the Bombora. I wish I had been able to arrive earlier and take advantage of the day. I'm sure that those that got it were able to get their fill.
traig

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kevin.
Stoked you had a good time. I was the kiter who was out early and told you to wait up for the higher wind to return in the afternoon. At least I think that was you. The early session was ripping wind and clean waves with higher tide. The mid day was a larger kite and board with return to the morning smoking wind condtions in the afternoon. Four or five hours of fun yesterday. It was great to share it with some old pole board buds. Even Terry (the Zuk) Lucof was out there with Billy W hitting some lips. What a great day. We got an hour and a half this afternoon but the air temp froze everyone's paws and the windswell was just ok. It has been a great winter so far with about four days a week average for us t baggers between C Street Santa Anna switch around and local Bu stuff. FUN, fun, fun... OB sounds like a blast and next time I visit the girl friends folks will take some kite gear with me. Surfed the spot in my teen years and look forward to doing some wind powered stuff there now as well.
dabull1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: BABY IT'S COLD OUT THERE!!! Reply with quote

Damn it, you guys are going to force me to drag out the gear from the mothball fleet, load it in the freshly refurbished DeerHunter,and join the arse freezing festival!!! Here's the deal, if jbassking shows up, so will I! Meanwhile, I'm just roastin' my nuts by the fire! Happy, WINDY, New Year to all! Aloha Bull PS Maui's goin off!
jp5

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dabull -
I was at surfing County line yesterday and didn't have any WS gear but the wind picked up and was definitely sailable on a pole board. There were 4 t-baggers out and with very little shore break it would have been an easy launch. I only surfed for about 40 minutes and froze my cajones off. I had a thermous of hot coffee in the car but I wasn't sure if I wanted to drink it or pour it down my wetsuit.
theq

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassking wrote:
...but I wasn't sure if I wanted to drink it or pour it down my wetsuit.

Well, that's an easy one. I'm sure that your booties are clean enough to recycle and drink the additionally filtered coffee from them, unlike some other sailors I know. Some out there use other warm liquids, carried internally, without the need for a thermos, to accomplish the same thing. You know who you are, "stinkyboots". Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: